12 Diners Where its Always National Greasy Food Day for Vegans
Veganism doesnt always have to be healthy, especially on National Greasy Food Day.
People often associate vegan diets with healthy eating, but that’s not always the case. To prove this point, we’re highlighting 12 greasy spoons across the country where delicious plant-based meals meet indulgence and excess. Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
1. Champs Diner—Brooklyn, NY
The 20-minute wait surrounded by man buns is worth every minute after you’re seated in an oversized horseshoe-shaped booth. There are no misses on Champs’ menu, but if you want to get extra greasy, order the Hangover Hashbrowns (greasy hash browns with soy sausage, tofu scramble, vegan cheddar cheese, jalapeños, broccoli, scallions, and vegan sour cream).
2. The Cinnamon Snail—New York, NY
Once a popular New York City food truck (and still a food truck for events), The Cinnamon Snail is now located at The Pennsy building. Watch the action through the floor-to-ceiling windows as you chow down on the Beastmode Burger Deluxe (ancho chili seitan burger grilled in maple hickory barbecue sauce with jalapeño macaroni and cheese). Add arugula, smoked chili coconut bacon, and chipotle mayonnaise on a grilled pretzel bun, and this is about as greasy as it gets.
3. The Chicago Diner—Chicago, IL
No list of vegan greasy spoons would be complete without a stop into one, or both, of The Chicago Diner’s locations. This classic diner includes greasy plates such as the Scrambled Tofu Deluxe, Country Benedict, steak and eggs, and a plethora of signature milkshakes. Thank us later.
4. D.C. Vegetarian—Portland, OR
For your next trip to Portland, don’t miss the tiny pop-up trailer that houses D.C. Vegetarian. From the kitschy kitchen, the eatery produces authentic breakfast sandwiches such as the #2, which is seasoned tofu, vegan cheese, avocado, tomato, and roasted red pepper aioli on a bagel. With house-made vegan sausage, this is a $5.50 investment in happiness.
5. Eden—Scranton, PA
Scranton might be in the middle of Pennsylvania, but it’s only two hours from New York City. With this in mind, plan a day trip to the Electric City with a stop at Eden. Less a diner and more a walk-up and order/sit down and eat restaurant, the eatery serves greasy specials such as baked rye bread, a housemade 10,000 Island dressing, a blend of vegan cheeses, and Tofurky roast beef ... all pressed to perfection on a panini grill. That said, if you ask the staff, they’ll tell you to order the Reuben.
6. Fare Well—Washington, DC
Fare Well’s all-day breakfast includes such decadent dishes as cookie-dough pancakes and breakfast tacos, but don’t leave without trying the Seitan Platter, which features Southern-fried chickpea seitan, crispy roasted potatoes, seasonal vegetables, and savory gravy.
7. Green New American Vegetarian—Phoenix and Tempe, AZ
Many omnivores have been known to dine at Green New American Vegetarian just to get the Big Wac, as it’s as good a diner burger as you’ll find anywhere. This burger comes with two hand-packed vegan patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions on a sesame seed bun. Sound familiar? And, as good as the Big Wac is … the chicken nuggets are even better.
8. Paradox Cafe—Portland, OR
Any café that has regular “gravy specials” is alright by us. Whenever we’re in town, we order the Mt. Tabor Taters, a veggie sausage with caramelized onion, jalapeños, red peppers, mushroom and tofu scrambled with spinach over seasoned red potatoes and topped with vegan cheese sauce.
9. Spiral Diner—Dallas, TX
Similar to many greasy spoon eateries, Texas-based Spiral Diner has a blue-plate special. However, unlike other restaurants, Spiral Diner’s blue-plate special is a veganized meatloaf with a choice of brown gravy or ketchup sauce and sides of Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes and gravy. You can also have the meatloaf as a sandwich for a hand-held experience.
10. Strong Hearts Cafe—Syracuse, NY
With two locations in Syracuse (one downtown and another near the university), Strong Hearts Cafe’s must-order plates include a Reuben sandwich, the loaded tofu scramble, and the "Eggs" Benetricked, a spicy tofu patty atop two pieces of smoky seitan and an English muffin covered in homemade hollandaise sauce. One more thing: don’t forget the John Lennon vanilla shake.
11. Veggie Galaxy—Boston, MA
This Boston eatery serves loads of vegan options with a wide variety to satisfy all customers. With so many choices, we’ve decided to make it easy for you: order the Buffalo “Chick’n” Burger Breaded & Fried (made with a housemade seitan cutlet, Buffalo sauce, cucumber, onion rings, blue cheese dressing, lettuce and tomato). Then, get extra greasy with a side of vegan mozzarella sticks.
12. Vertical Diner—Salt Lake City, UT
A quick walk from the University of Utah, Vertical Diner is where you’ll want to bite into some jackfruit and kimchi tacos because nothing says “greasy” like corn tortillas, shredded jackfruit, sauteéed vegetables, artisanal kimchi, garlic aioli, guacamole, and cilantro-lime tossed greens.
Eric C Lindstrom is the Director of Marketing for Farm Animal Rights Movement (FARM) and the author of The Skeptical Vegan and 2018’s Mind Your Peas and Cukes: The Ultimate Guide to Raising Vegan Kids.
Photo courtesy of Champs Diner
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
Learn about St. Pattys Day parades, vegan food and drinks, and the man who started it all.
Read More »
You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
This year, set your Easter table with cruelty-free plates, faux-grass runners, eggless-eggs, and compostable dessert plates.
Read More »
It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
They might not understand at first, but with the help of documentaries and delicious meals, your parents will understand that your veganism is more than just a fad.
Read More »
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer