6 Helpful Tips for Going Vegan
If youre ready to better your mind, body, and soul, its time to go vegan.
Thinking of going vegan? If so, congratulations—you’re making the right decision! However, what happens if you want to switch to a plant-based diet but you don’t know where to begin? Even long-time vegans remember the days when we weren’t sure how to read labels or were confused by ingredients with six consonants in a row. Luckily, going cruelty-free has never been easier thanks to an endless supply of online resources, meet-up groups, vegan doctors, and even musicians who help spread the word about the benefits of a plant-based life. Still, you might need some help when making the transition, which is why we’re providing six tips that’ll have you saying “please pass the kale” in no time.
1. Be ready
For the times when you aren’t sure if you can go vegan, have some re-enforcement. To accomplish this, make a list of all the benefits of going vegan so you can refer to it when needed. Then, whenever you think you might fall off the plant-based wagon, take out your list to remind yourself that a cruelty-free diet helps with medical conditions, improves our environment, and lessens needless animal exploitation. When you’re done reading your list, have some vegan ice cream!
2. Think of it as an evolution
Going vegan doesn't have to happen overnight. It takes time to transition, so think about what you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and see what vegan substitutes would need to be implemented. Then, remove one animal product at a time. Adding vegan-friendly foods to your diet (such as oats, non-dairy milk, nuts, grains, tofu, legumes, and avocado) helps create fantastic eating habits that will only serve you well. Whatever substitutions you choose, make sure to keep your meals fresh, balanced, and simple. Start by choosing to eat vegan two days a week, and pretty soon, two vegan days a week will be seven, and you won’t want to look back!
3. Find a partner
Thinking of cool and creative ways to eat fresh and wholesome food is a fun activity for families. Plus, going vegan is an excuse to try any fruit or vegetables you’ve never seen before, so visit your local farmers’ market and ask for samples. Furthermore, there are many great vegan meet-up groups that you can join. Once you become integrated into the community, you will have plenty of support and love around you. Having a group of friends with similar values also means you’ll be able to share recipes and tips. Remember: becoming vegan is an exciting time, so have some fun with it!
4. Tap into the wealth of vegan resources
You aren’t the first person to go vegan, which might explain why there are many resources to help you evolve and maintain a well-balanced diet. Check out cookbooks and websites such as The Vegan Society, Vegan For Everybody, No Meat Athlete, Vegan Cookbook For Beginners, and Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food for meal inspiration. Mark your favorite recipes, and designate one or two days a week to eating vegan. There are also many useful apps such as HappyCow, Ease, Cozi Family Organizer, and Mealboard to help create lists, meal plans, and recipes that make and maintain digital vegan grocery lists.
5. Ask your local grocery store to point out all vegan products
Trader Joe's has a vegan list readily available, but that doesn’t mean they’re the only grocery store with information on plant-based products. Wherever you shop, ask a staff member about the store’s vegan products. If the employees aren’t sure, ask them if they can create a list or easily identifiable labels for you and other vegan shoppers. Once your grocery list is set, shopping will become fast, fun, and easy.
6. Remember why you are doing this
Everyone has a reason for going vegan. Maybe it’s because fish are disappearing from our oceans, or the fact that you can get just as much protein by eating a plant-based diet as you can from a carnivorous one. Perhaps you’re tired of the propaganda perpetuated by the meat and dairy industries, or you can’t fathom contributing to the needless deaths of so many living creatures. Whatever your reasoning, never forget that you are making a huge change to your health, humanity, animals, and the planet.
Guy Vaknin is a chef and owner at Beyond Sushi.
10 Reasons New Vegan Documentary The Game Changers Will Literally Change Every Game
One part What the Health and ten parts of the most inspiring fitness routine you've ever seen, this new film—executively produced by James Cameron—will have you sweating in your seat.
Read More »
25 Accidentally Vegan Snacks You Can Find at Virtually Any Convenience Store
Forget the quinoa, and pass the Sour Patch Kids.
Read More »
14 Ways to Step Up Your Vegan Popcorn Game
Whether you prefer savory or sweet, weve got something for everyone on this list of snack-worthy recipes to celebrate National Popcorn Day.
Read More »
In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
Read More »
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
- How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
- 4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
- From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
- If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The VegNews Vegan Starter Kit
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too