From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
In the popular Veganism Saved My Life series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
A dire diagnosis can turn your life into a timeline grimly defined by “before” and “after,” making you face the unimaginable—the looming possibility of your early mortality. But for some, a frightening diagnosis is also an opportunity to heal. VegNews’ annual feature, “Veganism Saved My Life”—available now in the January+February Health and Wellness Issue—features the heart-wrenching stories of five individuals whose lives were saved by veganism.
Brooke Goldner, MD
Systemic lupus erythematosus, Stage 4 kidney failure, stroke
Six months to live, risk of death if pregnant, major stroke
How Brooke Did It
When Brooke Goldner was 16, she was was in stage 4 kidney failure due to a serious case of lupus. Initially told she had six months to live, Goldner defied all odds by staying alive with the help of intense chemotherapy, and upon completion, was able to wean herself off all medications. But her struggle was far from over.
When she entered medical school in her twenties, Goldner developed anti-phospholipid antibodies—a painful malady that causes blood clots, which in turn gave her double vision and even resulted in a stroke. She dealt with this new diagnosis by injecting her stomach with blood thinners every day, while stomaching the likely reality that she would never be able to bear children.
When all seemed lost, Goldner became romantically involved with fitness trainer Thomas Tadlock, who encouraged her to stop consuming cheese and eggs (she was a long-time vegetarian by that point). Trading in her animal products for a high-raw diet rich in fresh vegetables, after four months, Goldner no longer suffered from joint pain, migraines, fatigue, and more shockingly, her lupus and blood clot-inducing antibodies disappeared too. After two years of perfect lab results, she weaned herself off blood thinners, and four years later—even though she was still warned against it—Goldner became pregnant and gave birth to a baby boy. Now healthy as ever at 40, Goldner has dedicated her career as a medical doctor to advocating for disease prevention and treatment by way of vegetables.
What Brooke Eats In a Day
Green smoothie with kale, chia seeds, and pear
Avocado sandwich on sprouted bread
Spicy curry lentils with steamed broccoli, tofu, and peanut sauce
Raw vegan cheesecake
Peaches, nectarines, and pears
“Focus on what you want for your life and health, instead of what you think you might miss out on.”
For more of VegNews’ Veganism Saved My Life series, check out Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams’ story, and check back next week for more. And be sure to pick up a copy of the January+February issue of VegNews, on newsstands now!
After photo courtesy of Mellisa Schwartz
In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
Read More »
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
Chef Ahki brings a much-needed relevance and relatability to many who never imagined themselves going vegan.
Read More »
4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
Cruelty-free athletes explain why they ditched dairy and how they fuel their bodies with plant-based milks.
Read More »
If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
Thanks to us, theres no reason your babies behinds shouldnt be as vegan as the rest of their bodies.
Read More »
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too
- Top 10 Vegan Recipes of 2017
- Forget Cookies. Here are the 7 Vegan Treats Santa Really Wants This Year ...
- 6 Survival Tips for Vegans at Holiday Parties
- 10 Last-Minute Vegan Stocking Stuffers for the Best Christmas Ever
- 7 Household Items Easily Transformed into Vegan Holiday Décor