4 Vegan Cookbooks For Your Holiday Gift List, Plus What to Pre-Order for 2018
Give the most delicious gift of all with one of these outstanding vegan cookbooks.
This year, we’ve spent hours poring over tantalizing vegan cookbooks and, in turn, have been captivated by the gorgeous photography and drool-worthy recipes. Through our “research,” we found reliable new vegan cookbooks that range from elaborate coffee-table books you’ll want to display in a glass case and our new go-to references that we dog-ear with daily use. And because the holiday season has us in a giving mood, we’re highlighting not only our favorite 2017 cookbooks that we think you should gift to everyone on your lists this season but also seven cookbooks slated for a 2018 release over which we’re already salivating.
For the Matthew Kenney groupies, serious home chefs, and photography junkies, the chef’s latest work is a sensory masterpiece. We’re transfixed by the beautiful photography, which not only includes pictures of the precisely plated recipes but also scenes from the kitchen and breathtaking nature shots. Beyond the photography component, Kenney included more than 100 plant-based recipes inspired by his restaurant concepts (hello, Truffle Pizza from Double Zero!) around the world. Kenney is known for his innovation and creative use of culinary techniques, so the recipes are a bit advanced and some require special equipment such as a smoker or sous vide. We suggest you commit to a recipe, follow the instructions exactly, and let Kenney lead you to “craft the future of food.”
2. The Edgy Veg: 138 Carnivore-Approved Vegan Recipes
You’re following a recipe online, and you need to scroll or the screen goes black. Your hands are covered in flour, the pot is boiling too quickly, and there’s no time to wash your hands. Ah!!! Thankfully, YouTube recipe curator Candice Hutchings (aka, The Edgy Veg) released her first cookbook so you don’t have to worry about messing up your computer keys. Known for veganizing animal-based comfort foods such as Crunchy Taco Wrap Supreme, Drunken Fish and Chips, and Sriracha Beer Waffles, Hutchings’ recipes require some preparation time and a solid list of ingredients, but (as we’ve discovered) the wait is worth the work.
3. Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen: Epic Anytime Recipes with a World of Flavor
Richa Hingle’s second publication is full of vibrant and unique recipes inspired by her popular vegan recipe blog Vegan Richa. Although Hingle can veganize and perfectly execute almost any dish, her specialty is Indian food. Ringle’s book also includes recipes for creative burgers and pizzas such as Samosa Sliders and Barbecue Pizza with Jerk Beans and Vegetables. We love the fact that she’s also a big proponent of sauces, and even dedicates a special section to “Awesome Sauce.”
4. Planting Our Roots
This e-book is the first publication from vegan couple Jasmine Briones and Chris Petrellese (aka, Sweet Simple Vegan and Conscious Chris). The recipes celebrate a melding of their families’ Filipino and Italian cultures, as well a few modern favorites such as Petrellese’s Breakfast Burrito, Kare Kare, Buffalo Cauliflower Fried Rice, and Mango Sticky Rice Thumb Print Cookies.
Bonus: 7 Books to pre-order
Just because we have enough recipes to last us until 2025 doesn’t mean we also can’t wait for some highly anticipated cookbooks in 2018. Do a friend (or yourself) a favor by pre-ordering these books now, as many pre-orders come with perks such as exclusive free recipes, e-books, and special book-signing invitations. Here are seven upcoming cookbooks we can’t wait to get in our hands.
1. Power Plates: 100 Nutritionally Balanced, One-Dish Vegan Meals by Gena Hamshaw. Available January 23.
2. Sweet Potato Soul: 100 Easy Vegan Recipes for the Southern Flavors of Smoke, Sugar, Spice, and Soul by Jenne Claiborne. Available February 6.
3. Hot for Food Vegan Comfort Classics: 101 Recipes to Feed Your Face by Lauren Toyota. Available February 27.
4. Chloe Flavor: Saucy, Crispy, Spicy, Vegan by Chloe Coscarelli. Available March 6.
5. Food is the Solution: What to Eat to Save the World—80+ Recipes for a Greener Planet and a Healthier You by Matthew Prescott. Available March 27.
6. The Plantpower Way: Italia: Delicious Vegan Recipes from the Italian Countryside by Julie Piatt and Rich Roll. Available April 24.
7. Vegan Yack Attack On the Go!: Plant-Based Recipes for Your Fast-Paced Vegan Lifestyle by Jackie Sobon. Available July 3.
Photo courtesy of PLANTLAB
How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
Chef Ahki brings a much-needed relevance and relatability to many who never imagined themselves going vegan.
Read More »
4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
Cruelty-free athletes explain why they ditched dairy and how they fuel their bodies with plant-based milks.
Read More »
From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
In the popular Veganism Saved My Life series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
Read More »
If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
Thanks to us, theres no reason your babies behinds shouldnt be as vegan as the rest of their bodies.
Read More »
If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
For 2018, lets all focus on practicing compassion and kindness rather than judgment and comparison.
Read More »
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too
- Top 10 Vegan Recipes of 2017
- Forget Cookies. Here are the 7 Vegan Treats Santa Really Wants This Year ...
- 6 Survival Tips for Vegans at Holiday Parties
- 10 Last-Minute Vegan Stocking Stuffers for the Best Christmas Ever
- 7 Household Items Easily Transformed into Vegan Holiday Décor
- Vegan Holiday Table-Setting is a Thing, and It is Amazing