8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
From Asian-influenced and Greek to Indian and pizza-inspired, there are flavors from around the world waiting to be incorporated into your favorite tortilla.
Everyone loves burritos, but sometimes a little change is necessary. And by “change,” we mean burritos that aren’t filled with just beans, rice, guacamole, and salsa. With this in mind, and because it’s National Burrito Day, we’re highlighting eight plant-based burritos that’ll make you rethink how to approach your next burrito experience.
1. Indian Curried Cauliflower & Chickpea Burrito
Similar to a samosa but in a burrito package, this recipe from Oh My Veggies is a great way to use leftover Indian food in an inspired way. Using coconut basmati rice, cauliflower, chickpeas, and a heavy dose of spices, this dish comes together quickly and satisfies all of your Indian food cravings.
2. Greek burrito
Veggies Save the Day’s Greek burrito is much like a gyro but with tortilla instead of pita. This recipe features “traditional” burrito ingredients such as lettuce, tomato, and red onion, but the “meaty” bean/nut mixture made by combining lentils, chickpeas, and walnuts with tomato sauce and spices is what gives this meal its Greek influence.
3. Pizza burrito
As if we needed more reason to eat pizza, Veggies Don’t Bite has provided us with this simple recipe for a pizza burrito. In its simplest form, the dish combines pizza sauce, spinach, mushrooms, cream sauce, and sausage crumbles before baking in the oven.
4. Fall Harvest Burrito
If you’re looking for a meal with the taste of fall flavors or a tasty way to eat more grains and vegetables, look no further than this burrito from Veggies Don’t Bite. With Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, brown rice, apples, and pistachios, this concoction is packed with healthy ingredients ready to dip into a homemade raspberry mayonnaise.
5. Jamaican jerk jackfruit Caribbean burrito
Jackfruit has become a recent star of the vegan world, taking the place of meat in many recipes. For this dish from Vegan Richa, homemade Jamaican jerk seasoning, mango, black beans, and cucumber give the burrito a Caribbean feel … even when you’re thousands of miles away from the islands.
6. White bean and avocado-baked burrito
These burritos are more traditional but come with a slight variation due to the use of white beans over refried or black beans and the addition of mushrooms. Baking these burritos gives them more of an enchilada feel, but you can smother them with sauce in the oven or dip them in the zesty avocado lime dressing once out of the oven.
7. Macnocheeto burrito
Sadly, this burrito is not a recipe, but it just sounds too good not to include. From famed vegan food truck Homegrown Smoker in Portland, OR comes this burrito filled with smoked soy curls, barbecued beans, homemade vegan cheese, grilled peppers and onions, barbecue sauce, and cheese sauce.
8. Bánh mì burrito
The Bánh mì has quickly become another popular hand-held meal perfect for those on the run or fond of food trucks. These mushroom Bánh mì burritos from Pickles & Honey offer plenty of alternatives for those who prefer to use tofu in place of the marinated mushrooms, collard greens instead of the tortilla (for a gluten-free version), or quinoa instead of brown rice. The options are endless, but each result is totally tasty!
Hayden Seder is the Content Editor of SVPN Magazine in Sun Valley, Idaho and has been vegan for 14 years.
Photo courtesy of Vegan Richa
10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
Plant-based oatmeal cups let you begin your day in a quick and delicious manner.
Read More »
8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
Affordable and long-lasting, stickers are a great way to help spread the vegan message.
Read More »
This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
Eight-year-old Elias ran a lemonade stand to raise money for a rescued sheep.
Read More »
It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
Many men are reluctant to go vegan for irrational reasons. Were here to fix that problem.
Read More »
We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
Classics such as Jaws, Dumbo, and King Kong would be so much better if they were filmed through a vegan lens.
Read More »
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism
- 10 Vegan Easter Candies We Want To Find in Our Easter Basket
- Rise Against Adds Veganism to Its Politically Charged Music
- 8 Reasons to Forget Keto and Go Vegan
- Meet the Vegan Anthropologist Changing Academia
- Vegan Food Will Be Served at the NFL Draft, Thanks to This Dallas Chef
- 5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
- Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
- Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
- It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden