You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
Me time, essential oils, and turning off the computer will make 2018 your best year yet.
Everyone has great resolutions to start a healthy routine for the new year, and here’s the best part: you don’t need to miss the delicacies of life in order to live better in 2018. Instead, by following these six tips, you’ll discover ways to enjoy your life with less remorse and learn small but powerful habits that go long ways toward your long-term health and well-being.
1. Make "me time" mandatory
When we get stressed, it’s even more important to make that moment of “going inward” mandatory and part of your daily routine. Take the first few moments after waking up to breathe deeply through your belly in and out five times, and visualize how your breath in fills you with the healing life force, while your breath out releases the toxins from your body. Then, get up and stretch your entire body up, down and all around. Try to touch your toes! Set your alarm five minutes earlier to do this!
2. Move daily, even while traveling—your immune system depends on it
We tend to take short cuts with our exercise routines during the busier times or when we’re on the road. However, did you know that just 15 minutes of light exercise daily can help to activate your immune system? You also create new nerve cells in your brain when you move, so daily movement is a must to prevent cognitive decline. You don't even need a gym! Instead, use the space you are in. Try a gentle yoga practice, jumping jacks, squats, push-ups, sit-ups, planks, and spot running. Do you watch TV or listen to the news? Use that time to move. This will keep your body and immune system in good shape. Even better: do this in the morning to help burn the calories you might consume that day.
3. Make at least one meal per day a healthy one
Dedicate one meal per day as a healthy option to reduce the impact of less healthier meals. Breakfast smoothies can be nutritious and done in just minutes with frozen fruit and greens, a plant-based milk, a handful of nuts, and travel-sized pouches of your favorite plant-based protein mix. Travel shakers make it easy to whip up a great smoothie even while traveling. If breakfast becomes your daily healthy meal, your indulgences will add far less weight to your hips and your overall health.
4. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
The healing power of water is drastically underestimated, as it can control allergens, aid digestion, and help flush out toxins from sugar, fat, and alcohol. Water is your best ally in battling over-eating, hangovers, virus attacks, and the acidity caused by all internal and external stressors, which can become a breeding ground for ailments. Select a high alkaline water, or put a drop of essential lemon oil into each glass of water you drink. Sip at least eight eight-ounce glasses, ideally at room temperature, throughout the day.
5. Take a digital detox
This can be a tough one, but it’s so important! Some of the greatest stresses in our body and mind are created by being constantly connected and infused with radiation from the wireless technology that surrounds us. Make a conscious effort to switch off, and truly be with your family and friends to enjoy the beautiful new year. Use this time to de-stress and give your body a break from all that digital noise and chatter.
6. Double-up on your supplements and essential oils
One of the secret weapons to not getting sick on the road is to double-up on your little helpers. Find a great source of whole-food antioxidants, and add them to your daily healthy habits. Great products in powders, chewies, and capsules now exist to make this easy. We also highly recommend therapeutic-grade essential oils such as peppermint, frankincense, lemon, and lavender to give you an extra edge to stay healthy.
In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
Read More »
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
Chef Ahki brings a much-needed relevance and relatability to many who never imagined themselves going vegan.
Read More »
4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
Cruelty-free athletes explain why they ditched dairy and how they fuel their bodies with plant-based milks.
Read More »
From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
In the popular Veganism Saved My Life series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
Read More »
- If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too
- Top 10 Vegan Recipes of 2017
- Forget Cookies. Here are the 7 Vegan Treats Santa Really Wants This Year ...
- 6 Survival Tips for Vegans at Holiday Parties
- 10 Last-Minute Vegan Stocking Stuffers for the Best Christmas Ever
- 7 Household Items Easily Transformed into Vegan Holiday Décor