5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
Adding fresh turmeric root to your recipes is a great, easy way to explore new recipes.
Turmeric has been around for approximately 4,000 years, which might explain why almost everyone has this kitchen staple in their spice rack. Known for boosting immunity, turmeric root will give your meals added nutritional value, which is great news not only because turmeric is delicious and versatile but also a nutritional superstar with anti-inflammatory and detoxifying properties. But despite its recent explosion in popularity, some home cooks are still apprehensive about just how to use turmeric. To help you enjoy this tasty root, we’re exploring five fun and exciting recipes that feature turmeric root that’ll get you baking, juicing, and cooking in no time.
1. Turmeric Carrot Muffins with Chia & Coconut
Do you love baking and filling your kitchen with the aroma of warm, sweet spices? If so, these muffins from Vegan Richa are for you. This oil-free recipe requires no added sugar and takes a mere 35 minutes to prepare. And, as an added bonus, these muffins also feature chia seeds, which are a vegan source of omega-3s. Even better? The array of sweet and spicy flavors in this recipe is satisfying any time of day (although we prefer dunking them into our afternoon coffee).
2. Anti-Inflammatory Juice
Inflammation in the system is linked to many ailments, so why not tackle it head on with a healing fresh juice? The combination of pineapple, cucumber, turmeric root, and cinnamon in this anti-inflammatory juice from Taste of Two Plates is simple, potent, and delicious. You don’t have to be on a juice cleanse to enjoy fresh juices every day or a few times a week. Our tip: invest in a good juicer to bring nature’s pharmacy into your home.
3. Turmeric Pumpkin Soup with Coconut and Lime
Get the most out of a warming bowl of soup with this recipe from Homespun Capers. This dish combines pumpkin, turmeric root, garlic, cilantro, and red lentils (and essential colors of the rainbow such as orange, green, and red) into an immunity-boosting meal. Our favorite part of this recipe is the combination of the lime juice and coconut cream, but we also love the fact that we can make a large batch at once that will last for several days.
4. Super Slaw
In America, coleslaw is a staple at both diners and picnics because it’s a fantastic raw side dish that can accompany a variety of meals. With this in mind, let’s veganize it! One of our favorites is the Super Slaw recipe from Green Beat Life because it’s easy and quick and comes enriched with grated, raw turmeric root. Traditionally, coleslaw is made with mayonnaise, but there are plenty of great vegan mayonnaise products on the market. Or, you can skip the mayonnaise and use olive oil with lime juice, pepper, salt and cumin. If you like heat, add cayenne to the dressing, or sprinkle red chili flakes onto the slaw. Remember: turmeric root stains things bright yellow, which is why the grated turmeric sits on top of each serving.
5. Spiced Turmeric Latte
When you’re tired of traditional coffee, order a turmeric latte for your go-to pick-me-up. In fact, many cafés and coffee bars such as Le Pain Quotidien and Whole Foods Market are offering these non-caffeinated lattes. For an at-home version, try this recipe from The Vegan 8, which is a delicious blend for both flavor and fuel. This warming blend of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and maple syrup is calling you to curl up by the fire, and, thanks to the turmeric and black pepper, a nice buzz awaits!
Susan Tucker is a vegan chef and the founder of Green Beat Life, LLC, a plant-based diet health coaching practice in New York City.
10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
Plant-based oatmeal cups let you begin your day in a quick and delicious manner.
Read More »
8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
Affordable and long-lasting, stickers are a great way to help spread the vegan message.
Read More »
This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
Eight-year-old Elias ran a lemonade stand to raise money for a rescued sheep.
Read More »
It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
Many men are reluctant to go vegan for irrational reasons. Were here to fix that problem.
Read More »
We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
Classics such as Jaws, Dumbo, and King Kong would be so much better if they were filmed through a vegan lens.
Read More »
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Added These 11 Vegan Frozen Foods, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism
- 10 Vegan Easter Candies We Want To Find in Our Easter Basket
- Rise Against Adds Veganism to Its Politically Charged Music
- 8 Reasons to Forget Keto and Go Vegan
- Meet the Vegan Anthropologist Changing Academia
- Vegan Food Will Be Served at the NFL Draft, Thanks to This Dallas Chef
- 5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
- Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
- Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
- It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism