8 Easy Ways to Have a Relaxing Father's Day
This June 17, you might be surprised by what Dad really wants …
The modern dad pitches in around the house and helps with school lunches, often boasting impressive cooking skills that have expanded beyond the stereotype of only being seen as the “guy who grills.” With Father’s Day nearly upon us, treat Dad like the king of his own castle. Need ideas? Here are eight foolproof ways to deliver the perfect Father’s Day, vegan-style.
1. Let him sleep in
It might not seem like a lot, but if you can let Dad sleep in past 8am on this one day, he’ll be forever grateful. Pull the covers up and tuck him back in for that extra hour, keeping the kids at bay.
2. Give him breakfast in bed
One of our favorite ways to celebrate Dad is with a fancy breakfast. Why not whip up a spinach and smoked vegan gouda VeganEgg omelette with air-fried tater tots, fresh-cut fruit, toast with vegan butter, and really strong coffee
3. Encourage a mid-morning nap
There is nothing like following a big breakfast with a good, old-fashioned nap. Help Dad out by putting his phone on silent for him, pulling the blinds, and doing your best to keep the kids quiet.
4. Don’t forget a present
At this point, if you’ve taken the first steps outlined above, Dad will be a very happy man and will want for nothing. If you still feel a need to get dad something tangible, we have lots of gift ideas that are totally vegan and totally crave-worthy.
5. Feed him again
For lunch, make Dad a veganized grilled cheese sandwich with crunchy french fries. Or if he’s a health nut, whip up a simple kale salad with sweet peanut dressing, or a vegetable-packed quinoa salad. Now is also the time that dad can finally enjoy that cruelty-free craft beer or gin and tonic (it’s 5pm somewhere, right?).
6. Take a hike
Once Dad is filled up with hearty vegan food, head for a hiking trail to walk it off. Hours spent meandering together through the woods at dad-speed while mutually appreciating wildlife is the perfect animal-loving antidote to anyone’s busy life.
7. Get your grill on
With the full-range of incredible vegan burgers, sausages, and hot dogs, such as Costco's bleeding burger, Field Roast's sausages, and Ikea's Hot Dogs, that have rolled out in recent years, you’ll have plenty to fulfill Dad’s lofty grilling ambitions. Be sure to have these cruelty-free meats defrosted in advance for easy cooking. And don’t forget the generous spread of plant-based condiments (such as guacamole and Just Sriracha Mayo). As a finishing touch, prepare a simple macaroni or potato salad to accompany the grilled goods.
8. The grand finale
Tonight is the perfect time to “Netflix and chill,” and the film is Dad’s choice. This is his opportunity to share with the whole family his favorite film from high school. Let the whole family everyone enjoy the downtime in front of the screen. By the way, if dad nods off during the movie, do not wake him up!
Eric C Lindstrom, a dad and husband based in Ithaca, NY,is the Director of Marketing for Compassion Over Killing (COK) and the author of The Skeptical Vegan and The Smart Parent’s Guide to Raising Vegan Kids.
5 Vegan Summer Date Ideas
Summer lovin' happens so fast, especially when you're taking your date on vegan adventures.
Read More »
7 Glittery, Fabulous, Thrilling, Uncompromising, Inclusive, Vegan Ways I Plan on Celebrating Gay Pride Month
As a seasoned vegan lesbian but a brand new Angeleno, this year, I'm going all-in.
Read More »
The Ultimate Vegan Road Trip PART ONE
The first in our two part-series begins in the Northeast and ends in Sweet Home Chicago.
Read More »
Sizzling Vegan Summer Beauty Brands and Tips
Its too hot to contour, and who has time to paint a painstaking smoky eye when there are veggie burgers to grill and rosé to drink?
Read More »
9 Simple Steps to Making a Vegan Man Cave for Father's Day
This Father's Day, gift Dad with a perfect vegan addition to his sanctuary.
Read More »
- 28 Vegan Father's Day Gift Ideas for Every Kind of Dad
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- 5 Ideas for a Great Vegan Spring Wedding
- 5 Zero-Waste Tips for Vegans
- 40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
- How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
- 5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
- 7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
- Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene