10 Vegan Smartphone Apps to Make Life Easier
Vegan smartphone apps are booming, blending convenience with the best of veg life.
There are literally thousands of products and services available to make your veg-life easier—cookbooks, websites, magazines (ahem)—but what rivals them all for simplicity’s sake is the smartphone app. Since the iPhone boom, scads of apps have hit the market, many oriented toward a cruelty-free lifestyle. We’ve scrolled through and handpicked a list of 10 that bring the best of the veg experience into the palm of your hand. The next time you’re stressing about what to make for dinner or are feeling uneasy about mysterious ingredients, don’t worry—there’s an app to cover it.
For the iPhone
Veggie Passport ($0.99)
With Veggie Passport, your veganism will never be lost in translation. Use Veggie Passport to translate your request for a vegan meal when in foreign countries or to communicate your veganism in other languages.
Vegan Recipe Finder ($2.99)
From VegWeb comes Vegan Recipe Finder, bringing its collection of more than 15,000 user-submitted recipes—and counting—to your iPhone. Make breakfast, lunch, and dinner a breeze, as this app includes grocery lists and a recipe box for on-the-go chefs.
Vegan Steven (Free)
Vegan Steven seeks out the vegan hotspots in your neighborhood, with clues to vegan discounts all over your city. For tips on where to go and where to avoid, Vegan Steven includes ratings and reviews.
The Cruelty-Free app saves time trying to decode the back of a package and tells you upfront if a product has not been tested on animals. The shopping guide features more than 200 cosmetic and household product companies in the US and Canada.
Is Your Beer Vegan? (Free)
Through processing, filtration, or as ingredients themselves, breweries and distilleries sometimes use animal products, and it won’t always be denoted on the label. Is Your Beer Vegan? lets you drink with as clear of a conscience as you can.
Whether you’re on the go or dining out with non-veg friends, it can be difficult to decipher which menu items at mainstream restaurants are vegan. VeganXpress is the answer, listing vegan entrées at more than 110 chain restaurants, along with info on accidentally vegan snacks and junk food.
For the iPad
VegEZ comes to the iPad from Delicious TV, and features 50 of the network’s Totally Vegetarian recipes by hostess and podcaster Toni Fiore. For guidance, the app features photos, step-by-step videos, and complete ingredients with shopping lists.
For the Blackberry
Vegan with a Vengeance ($14.95)
The famed cookbook Vegan with a Vengeance, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, is available for your Blackberry with more than 150 recipes and anecdotes for all your veg cooking needs.
For the Palm Pre
The VeginOut Guide, powered by HappyCow, lets you know where to find vegan, vegetarian, and veg-friendly restaurants throughout the world. VeginOut is also available for the Android and the iPhone under the name VegOut.
For the Android
Vegan Recipes ($1.99)
This recently released app searches through more than one million recipes to find whatever vegan recipe you could possibly want.
You Are 5 Minutes Away From Having the Perfect Vegan Winter Face
Get your seasonal glow in less time than it takes to brew your morning coffee.
Read More »
VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest 2017 Finalists
Drum roll, please! We present the 10 finalists in this year's VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest.
Read More »
18 Vegan Things We Can't Wait to Try in 2018
The new year is quickly approaching, and vegan cannabis gummies, bottled Starbucks Frappuccinos, and three new vegan whipped cream options await on the other side.
Read More »
Top 10 Vegan Stories of 2017
Want to know the hottest vegan lifestyle stories of 2017? Here are your top 10 favorite reads of the year.
Read More »
No, Hemp Will Not Get You High. Yes, You Need it Anyway.
Hemp seeds are a healthy superfood that can help vegans (and everyone else) get the protein and healthy fats they need for optimal health.
Read More »
- 10 Vegan Beauty Products at CVS That Will Save You Some Coin
- Dear Vegans: The Holidays Don't Have to Suck
- 8 Vegan Winter Boots That Will Make You Look Hot
- Top 10 Vegan News Stories of 2017
- 4 Easy Ways to Support Animals During the Holidays
- Veganizing Korean Food, As Told By An American Expat
- VegNews Vegan Wedding Application 2018
- The Healthcare Industry Will Go Completely Vegan, If These Doctors Have Anything to Do With It
- 9 Vegan Cosmetics Youll Buy as Holiday Gifts, Then Probably Keep For Yourself
- If You're A Vegan Stoner, We Have the Perfect Cooking Competition for You
- Forget Milk and Eggs. These 8 Vegan Substitutes Will Make Your Holiday Baked Goods 100 Times Better
- 5 Reasons Animal Testing Will Soon Be a Thing of the Past
- 4 Incredible Ways Animals Can Help Your Child in Need
- VegNews Holiday Gift Guide 2017
- Vegan Black Friday Deals That Will Make You Whip Out Your Credit Card
- 9 Things VegNews Editors Are Thankful For
- Stand in Line (or Not) for These 5 Vegan Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
- 7 Foolproof Ways to Help You Survive Thanksgiving As a Vegan
- An Open Letter to 18-Year-Old, Soon-to-Be-Vegetarian Me
- 6 Vegan Thanksgiving Dinners for Any Food-Obsessed New Yorker