Animal-Free Vegan Winter Fashion
Stay stylish and warm in snow, sleet, and sub-zero temperatures with these cruelty-free finds.
This time of year, when most of the country is blanketed in snow and even walking around the house requires a scarf and parka, you might feel that you need to sacrifice fashion for warmth. Thanks to slews of designers and retailers offering cruelty-free threads, you can find clothes that are cozy, chic, and (most importantly!) animal-friendly. With all of the wonderful alternatives to winter staples like wool, cashmere, and leather, you can be warm, comfortable, and au courant throughout the winter months in these stylish picks.
Out of the Arctic Outerwear
Goose down jackets and wool coats don’t hold a candle to this year’s haul of vegan-friendly outerwear. Patagonia uses organic cotton and recycled polyester in many of their men’s jackets—for a more classic look, try Vaute Couture’s handsome black pea coat. Ladies have myriad options when it comes to overcoats—Madewell’s 100-percent cotton, military-inspired parka is perfect for the everyday, while Kate Spade’s houndstooth cotton coat is a lovely choice for evening. Need something lighter? Anthropologie’s blazer is great for the office and when paired with skinny jeans for a night out.
Not Your Grandma’s Homemade Sweater
Sweaters are a cold-weather staple but can be a challenge when avoiding cashmere. Fortunately, we’ve found a laundry hamper full of cruelty-free options. For men, J. Crew makes the classic sailor stripe sweater in thick, warm cotton, and B:Scott has a button-down sweater that will make an understated statement in any situation. Ladies won’t sacrifice style or warmth in Gap’s biker-chic cardigan. Don’t worry if you’re jealous of the men’s J. Crew sweater—they have one for ladies too.
Scarves, hats, and gloves look good all year—but they’re downright essential in winter. Thick cable-knit and reversible patterned scarves for men and a grey cable-knit beanie and cap with an oversized pompom for ladies are just the tip of the iceberg at ASOS. Urban Outfitters makes it easy for vegan guys to keep their noggins toasty—a marled knit cap with earflaps is just one of many options. Women can wrap up in Shock Boutique’s pocket-adorned scarf or in this fine-knit silver snood from Topshop. Cold hands will stay warm (and look great) in faux fur-trimmed mittens or rust-colored palm warmers, both from Topshop. For the guys, REI makes fleece convertible gloves that can turn into mittens in a snap—perfect for texting during a chilly commute.
Warm and Fuzzy Feet
Vegans can keep their feet warm this season (without five extra pairs of socks!) with numerous animal-free options. Men’s toes will stay toasty while running errands in faux shearling-lined lace-up boots from Loomstate or in high tops from Keep. No need to wear leather kicks for business meetings and evenings out—Italian vegan shoe designer Noah makes many beautiful dress shoes for men and impossibly chic riding boots for women. Speaking of vegan shoes, Olsen Haus’ faux-suede heels and Wanted’s faux-leather biker boots are stylish picks for ladies.
These dashing options will keep you toasty and warm until spring arrives. Here’s to fireside cups of hot cocoa, sledding, and vegan snow angels!
Meet the Vegan Anthropologist Changing Academia
Dan Sayers is changing the way we view anthropology—and those who follow vegan lifestyles.
Read More »
Vegan Food Will Be Served at the NFL Draft, Thanks to This Dallas Chef
Soulgoods organic food is converting people to veganism by showing customers that cruelty-free doesnt have to taste like cardboard.
Read More »
5 Vegan Responses When Your Health Teacher Tells You to Eat Meat
If youre a vegan high school student, health class just might be the hardest course to pass.
Read More »
Vegan Self-Publishing in 4 Easy Steps
Share your work with the world, and spread the vegan message? Yes, and yes.
Read More »
Vegan St. Patricks Day 101
Learn about St. Pattys Day parades, vegan food and drinks, and the man who started it all.
Read More »
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- It's Time You Talked to Your Parents About Your Veganism
- 5 Life Lessons I Learned in the Prison Garden
- The 10 Vegan Swag Bag Items That Will Make You Wish You Were Going to the Oscars
- Want to Make Sure Your College Choice Is as Vegan as You Are? Here's How
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- Rapper Styles P's Juice Shops are Introducing More Hip-Hop Fans to Plant-Based Living
- Cafeterias Across the Country are Going Vegan. Here's Why ...
- We'd Love These 10 Celebs Even More if They Went Vegan
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- Want Political Change? It's Time to Start Voting Vegan
- A Vegan Teen Guide to Ordering Food at Non-Vegan Restaurants
- 5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
- How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
- 5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
- 6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
- 6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston