The Top 15 News Stories of 2014
VegNews takes a look back at the year's most popular vegan headlines.
It was another banner year for veganism. From a long-awaited dairy-free ice cream announcement to a truly gross find in 100 percent of ground beef, vegan living was more popular than ever in 2015. In honor of this exceptional year, here are our most popular news stories on VegNews.com so we can look back at all that’s been accomplished—and look forward to even more to come in 2016.
1. Vegan Meat Brand Acquired by Birds Eye Parent Company
Popular Gardein brand of vegan protein products sells to Pinnacle Foods for a whopping $155 million.
2. Veganz Supermarket to Open US Shopping Center
Reason #1,456 to move to Portland, OR: The German-based vegan shopping mecca, Veganz, is opening up shop in the City of Roses.
3. New York Named Most Vegan-Friendly City in America
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says there is no better place for meat-free eating than NYC.
4. Vegan Bakery Launches National Franchising Program
Northern California-based Cinnaholic offers franchising opportunities to potential business owners around the country.
5. Acclaimed Los Angeles Restaurateur Passes Away
The vegan community lost a great activist this year in Molly Anderson of the award-winning Madeleine Bistro.
6. Vegan Cheese Company Wins Big on Shark Tank
Heidi Ho Organics walks away with an investment deal after appearing on the popular ABC program.
7. Vegan Bakery Cinnaholic Company Wins Big on Shark Tank
Popular cinnamon roll bakery, Cinnaholic, gets funded to the tune of $200,000 on national television.
8. Native Foods Café to Open First East Coast Location
Washington, DC becomes the 21st location for the award-winning vegan restaurant chain.
9. China's Vegan Population is Largest in the World
50 million vegans call China home—the largest number for a single country on the planet.
10. Samuel L. Jackson Goes Vegan "To Live Forever"
The Hollywood star gives up meat and dairy to live long and healthfully.
11. Ellen DeGeneres' Personal Chef to Open Vegan Restaurant
Celebrity chef Roberto Martin plans to open a plant-based eatery in Los Angeles in 2015.
12. Veggie Grill Opens 26th Location
Corte Madera—just north of San Francisco—is the newest home of the all-vegan restaurant chain.
13. NFL Defensive Lineman Cites Reasons for Going Veg
Pro athlete David Carter says veganism is a key component to optimal health and high performance.
14. Whole Foods Market Arrests Renowned Vegan Activist
Vegan and social-justice advocate, Lauren Ornelas, is arrested during peaceful protest over rabbit meat.
15. Zagat Names Vegan Restaurant #1 in Philadelphia
The worldwide dining guide names Vedge the top-rated dining spot in Philly.
Don't miss our list of Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2014 and our Top 15 Vegan Stories of 2014 (coming next week!).
Team Canada Wears All-Vegan Uniforms at Olympics
Animal-rights activists praise apparel brand Hudson's Bay Company for outfitting this year's Olympians in animal-free outwear.
Read More »
Photographer Creates the Most Vegan Proposal Ever
Popping the question with the help of an avocado is gaining traction thanks to Amsterdam food stylist Colette Dike.
Read More »
Tyson to Launch Plant-Based Meal Bowls
The meat company is disrupting itself to stay competitive as consumer habits shift toward animal-free foods.
Read More »
Pregnant Sisters Launch Vegan Dessert Sushi Brand
Vegan Rice Krispies Treats stand-in for sushi rice, and gelatin-free candies replace fish in creations made by sisters Kasia Mierzejewska and Emilia Augustyn for their allergen-free brand Sweet Sushi Factory.
Read More »
PG Tips Creates New Tea Aimed at Vegan Consumers
The nearly 90-year-old tea brand formulated a new blend that pairs perfectly with plant-based milk.
Read More »
- Australia's First Vegan Hotel Restaurant Opens in March
- Miami's Plant-Based SEED Food & Wine Festival Debuts in LA
- Chipotle Adds Quinoa to its NYC Test Kitchen Menu
- Vegan Fashion Brand VAUTE Profiled on PBS
- New Investor Coalition to Combat Meat Problem in China
- IKEA Debuts Plant-Based Hot Dogs
- Rooney Mara Launches Luxury Vegan Fashion Line
- NYC Meat Emporium Now Serves Vegan Beyond Sausage
- Vegan Truffles Beat 141 Brands in Blind Taste Test
- POC-Owned Vegan Lipstick Brand Debuts at Target
- New Bleeding Vegan Burger Debuts at Costco
- Craft Brewery Modern Times Opens Vegan Lounge
- Kat Von D Honors Drag Queen Divine with New Makeup Line
- NYC Fashion Mogul to Debut Vegan Cheese Brand
- LUSH Debuts New Vegan Bath Melt to Fight for Trans Rights
- Data Shows Plant-Based Diet Would Save UK $7 Billion
- Amsterdam Fashion Brand Debuts Vegan James Dean Jacket
- Investors Condemn Whole Foods for Ignoring Vegan Shift
- Vegan Pay-What-You-Can Eatery Opens in Charleston
- Veganism is Stunting Growth of Camel-Milk Industry