The Top 15 News Stories of 2014
VegNews takes a look back at the year's most popular vegan headlines.
It was another banner year for veganism. From a long-awaited dairy-free ice cream announcement to a truly gross find in 100 percent of ground beef, vegan living was more popular than ever in 2015. In honor of this exceptional year, here are our most popular news stories on VegNews.com so we can look back at all that’s been accomplished—and look forward to even more to come in 2016.
1. Vegan Meat Brand Acquired by Birds Eye Parent Company
Popular Gardein brand of vegan protein products sells to Pinnacle Foods for a whopping $155 million.
2. Veganz Supermarket to Open US Shopping Center
Reason #1,456 to move to Portland, OR: The German-based vegan shopping mecca, Veganz, is opening up shop in the City of Roses.
3. New York Named Most Vegan-Friendly City in America
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says there is no better place for meat-free eating than NYC.
4. Vegan Bakery Launches National Franchising Program
Northern California-based Cinnaholic offers franchising opportunities to potential business owners around the country.
5. Acclaimed Los Angeles Restaurateur Passes Away
The vegan community lost a great activist this year in Molly Anderson of the award-winning Madeleine Bistro.
6. Vegan Cheese Company Wins Big on Shark Tank
Heidi Ho Organics walks away with an investment deal after appearing on the popular ABC program.
7. Vegan Bakery Cinnaholic Company Wins Big on Shark Tank
Popular cinnamon roll bakery, Cinnaholic, gets funded to the tune of $200,000 on national television.
8. Native Foods Café to Open First East Coast Location
Washington, DC becomes the 21st location for the award-winning vegan restaurant chain.
9. China's Vegan Population is Largest in the World
50 million vegans call China home—the largest number for a single country on the planet.
10. Samuel L. Jackson Goes Vegan "To Live Forever"
The Hollywood star gives up meat and dairy to live long and healthfully.
11. Ellen DeGeneres' Personal Chef to Open Vegan Restaurant
Celebrity chef Roberto Martin plans to open a plant-based eatery in Los Angeles in 2015.
12. Veggie Grill Opens 26th Location
Corte Madera—just north of San Francisco—is the newest home of the all-vegan restaurant chain.
13. NFL Defensive Lineman Cites Reasons for Going Veg
Pro athlete David Carter says veganism is a key component to optimal health and high performance.
14. Whole Foods Market Arrests Renowned Vegan Activist
Vegan and social-justice advocate, Lauren Ornelas, is arrested during peaceful protest over rabbit meat.
15. Zagat Names Vegan Restaurant #1 in Philadelphia
The worldwide dining guide names Vedge the top-rated dining spot in Philly.
Don't miss our list of Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2014 and our Top 15 Vegan Stories of 2014 (coming next week!).
Snack Brand Debuts Vegan Space Ice Cream
Seva Foods' freeze-dried Space Ice Kream is an indulgence for astronauts and land-dwellers alike.
Read More »
NYC All-You-Can-Eat Ice Cream Fest Offers Vegan Scoops
Three-day festival Scooper Bowl in Bryant Park will treat guests to ice cream of every variety, including dairy-free scoops from Van Leeuwen, Ben & Jerry's, and Häagen-Dazs.
Read More »
Animal Ag Companies Fined $29M for Destroying Amazon
The government of Brazil slapped a hefty fine on feed suppliers to meat and dairy companies that sell to McDonald's, Burger King, and Walmart for destroying the country's biodiverse Cerrado region for profit.
Read More »
Moby Retires from Touring to Focus on Activism
…and to make vegan smoothies every morning after waking up in his own bed.
Read More »
UK Version of Beyond Burger Expands Across London
British vegan brand Moving Mountains expands its B12 burger to five locations of meat-centric chain Dirty Bones—where it will be served topped with vegan mac and cheese.
Read More »
- Legendary Canadian Rugby Player Starts Vegan Cheese Brand
- World's Top Chocolate Supplier Shifts Focus to Dairy-Free
- Mena Suvari Has Vegan Epiphany at Moby's Restaurant
- Pittsburgh Gets Its First Vegan Ice Cream Shop
- Meat Company Finds Americans Are Afraid of Hot Dogs
- Kat Von D Debuts 10th Anniversary Vegan Beauty Line
- Missouri Passes Bill Limiting Meat Labels to Dead Animals
- Pizza Chain Becomes First in Asia to Offer Vegan Cheese
- IKEA to Debut Vegan Hot Dog at Boston Music Festival
- Paul McCartney: "Meat-Free Is the New Rock and Roll"
- Impossible Burger is Now Certified Kosher
- Residents to Sue Iowa Over Hog Factory Farm Emissions
- Oat-Based Milk Brand Launches Vegan Ice Cream Line
- Vegan-Friendly Pizza Slice Shop to Open in NYC
- Beyond Meat to Debut Beyond Breakfast Sausages
- World's First Vegan Chicken Shop Opens Convenience Store
- Vegan Coffee Shop Thrives in "Steak Country"
- Vegan French Macaron Shop Opens in New Orleans
- Kroger Launches Vegan Recipe Contest
- Vegan Shoe Brand MINK Sells 10,000 Pairs in 2018