EXPOSED: The Egg Industry's Plot to Eliminate Just Mayo
Insider emails reveal two years of illegal plans for FDA to persecute vegan company, Hampton Creek.
A series of emails between executives at the American Egg Board (AEB) and the US Department of Agriculture reveal an extensive, illegal plan to take down Hampton Creek, the vegan company behind egg-less mayonnaise product Just Mayo. In a 2013 email to her colleagues, AEB CEO Joanne Ivy identified Beyond Eggs (Hampton Creek’s first vegan product) as a “major threat” and asked, “What are we doing at AEB with regard to this competing product?? We need to have an answer!”
The response was to disparage Hampton Creek in several ways: in addition to paying $43,000 to a crisis management firm to design a plan to hinder Hampton Creek’s success—namely through paying influential bloggers to plant USDA-approved egg endorsements and strategic letters sent to The Wall Street Journal and The Huffington Post—the AEB paid contractor Anthony Zoletzzi an undisclosed sum to keep Hampton Creek off shelves at Whole Foods Market, stating, “Imagine the PR buzz … if Whole Foods was on our side.” Additionally, members of the egg industry threatened via email to put a “hit” on Hampton Creek founder Josh Tetrick. One email stated, “Do you want me to contact some of my old buddies from Brooklyn to pay Mr. Tetrick a visit?”
In 2014, Unilever—the makers of Best Foods mayonnaise—filed suit against Hampton Creek for allegations that Just Mayo’s label was misleading because of the product’s lack of eggs. While the AEB acknowledged they could not publically back Unilever’s suit, in a 2014 email, Ivy stated that she spoke with the counsel for Unilever and advised him to “make sure the FDA is aware.” If they weren’t, she said, “Maybe they need to be pushed.” On August 12, the FDA issued a warning to Hampton Creek stating that the company was in violation of regulations related to the identity of mayonnaise, stating that the product did not contain eggs and was therefore misleading to consumers. Controversy arose over the FDA’s labeling regulations and the intent of the agency’s actions toward Hampton Creek was publically scrutinized.
The various communications released today and obtained through the Freedom of Information Act prove that the AEB (in conjunction with the USDA) is in violation of five federal laws enacted to protect unfair competition, misappropriation of funds, and withholding of information.
Ben & Jerry's Hosts Vegan Ice Cream Parties Across US
The iconic ice cream brand is scooping its dairy-free flavors in Washington DC, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and beyond.
Read More »
Groundbreaking Vegan Film Dominion Announces US Debut
The film—regarded as Australia's version of influential vegan documentary Earthlings—will be screened at the upcoming Animal Rights National Conference in Los Angeles this summer.
Read More »
Avengers Star Benedict Cumberbatch Goes Vegan
The British actor discussed his commitment to veganism in interviews promoting the new Avengers: Infinity War
Read More »
Dubai Dairy Brand Launches Vegan Milk Line
Koita Foods, which distributes its dairy products to the Ritz Carlton hotel, will now offer a dairy-free line made with almonds, oats, soy, and rice.
Read More »
Vegan Fish Steaks Launch at 150 British Pubs
Fish Steaks made by VBites—a vegan brand founded by vegan athlete Heather Mills in 1993—are now on the menu as vegan Fish and Chips at Greene King Flaming Grill.
Read More »
- Tesco Launches Private-Label Cheesy Vegan Pizza
- Snack Brand Debuts Vegan Space Ice Cream
- NYC All-You-Can-Eat Ice Cream Fest Offers Vegan Scoops
- Animal Ag Companies Fined $29M for Destroying Amazon
- Moby Retires from Touring to Focus on Activism
- UK Version of Beyond Burger Expands Across London
- Legendary Canadian Rugby Player Starts Vegan Cheese Brand
- World's Top Chocolate Supplier Shifts Focus to Dairy-Free
- Mena Suvari Has Vegan Epiphany at Moby's Restaurant
- Pittsburgh Gets Its First Vegan Ice Cream Shop
- Meat Company Finds Americans Are Afraid of Hot Dogs
- Kat Von D Debuts 10th Anniversary Vegan Beauty Line
- Missouri Passes Bill Limiting Meat Labels to Dead Animals
- Pizza Chain Becomes First in Asia to Offer Vegan Cheese
- IKEA to Debut Vegan Hot Dog at Boston Music Festival
- Paul McCartney: "Meat-Free Is the New Rock and Roll"
- Impossible Burger is Now Certified Kosher
- Residents to Sue Iowa Over Hog Factory Farm Emissions
- Oat-Based Milk Brand Launches Vegan Ice Cream Line
- Vegan-Friendly Pizza Slice Shop to Open in NYC