EXPOSED: The Egg Industry's Plot to Eliminate Just Mayo
Insider emails reveal two years of illegal plans for FDA to persecute vegan company, Hampton Creek.
A series of emails between executives at the American Egg Board (AEB) and the US Department of Agriculture reveal an extensive, illegal plan to take down Hampton Creek, the vegan company behind egg-less mayonnaise product Just Mayo. In a 2013 email to her colleagues, AEB CEO Joanne Ivy identified Beyond Eggs (Hampton Creek’s first vegan product) as a “major threat” and asked, “What are we doing at AEB with regard to this competing product?? We need to have an answer!”
The response was to disparage Hampton Creek in several ways: in addition to paying $43,000 to a crisis management firm to design a plan to hinder Hampton Creek’s success—namely through paying influential bloggers to plant USDA-approved egg endorsements and strategic letters sent to The Wall Street Journal and The Huffington Post—the AEB paid contractor Anthony Zoletzzi an undisclosed sum to keep Hampton Creek off shelves at Whole Foods Market, stating, “Imagine the PR buzz … if Whole Foods was on our side.” Additionally, members of the egg industry threatened via email to put a “hit” on Hampton Creek founder Josh Tetrick. One email stated, “Do you want me to contact some of my old buddies from Brooklyn to pay Mr. Tetrick a visit?”
In 2014, Unilever—the makers of Best Foods mayonnaise—filed suit against Hampton Creek for allegations that Just Mayo’s label was misleading because of the product’s lack of eggs. While the AEB acknowledged they could not publically back Unilever’s suit, in a 2014 email, Ivy stated that she spoke with the counsel for Unilever and advised him to “make sure the FDA is aware.” If they weren’t, she said, “Maybe they need to be pushed.” On August 12, the FDA issued a warning to Hampton Creek stating that the company was in violation of regulations related to the identity of mayonnaise, stating that the product did not contain eggs and was therefore misleading to consumers. Controversy arose over the FDA’s labeling regulations and the intent of the agency’s actions toward Hampton Creek was publically scrutinized.
The various communications released today and obtained through the Freedom of Information Act prove that the AEB (in conjunction with the USDA) is in violation of five federal laws enacted to protect unfair competition, misappropriation of funds, and withholding of information.
Anti-Dairy PSA Airs During Olympic Closing Ceremony
A group of celebrated Olympians have united in a commercial—produced by Oscar-winning director Louie Psihoyos—to encourage viewers to switch from animal dairy to plant-based alternatives.
Read More »
Pinterest Names Vegan Food Top Wedding Trend
According to the social media platform's 2018 Wedding Report, interest in vegan nuptials is on the rise.
Read More »
Chef Chloe Coscarelli Opens New Café in Miami
Beloved vegan chef Chloe Coscarelli is back with new eatery, Chef Chloe and the Vegan Café, in highly anticipated St. Roch food hall in Miami's design district.
Read More »
Team Canada Wears All-Vegan Uniforms at Olympics
Animal-rights activists praise apparel brand Hudson's Bay Company for outfitting this year's Olympians in animal-free outwear.
Read More »
Photographer Creates the Most Vegan Proposal Ever
Popping the question with the help of an avocado is gaining traction thanks to Amsterdam food stylist Colette Dike.
Read More »
- Tyson to Launch Plant-Based Meal Bowls
- Pregnant Sisters Launch Vegan Dessert Sushi Brand
- PG Tips Creates New Tea Aimed at Vegan Consumers
- Australia's First Vegan Hotel Restaurant Opens in March
- Miami's Plant-Based SEED Food & Wine Festival Debuts in LA
- Chipotle Adds Quinoa to its NYC Test Kitchen Menu
- Vegan Fashion Brand VAUTE Profiled on PBS
- New Investor Coalition to Combat Meat Problem in China
- IKEA Debuts Plant-Based Hot Dogs
- Rooney Mara Launches Luxury Vegan Fashion Line
- NYC Meat Emporium Now Serves Vegan Beyond Sausage
- Vegan Truffles Beat 141 Brands in Blind Taste Test
- POC-Owned Vegan Lipstick Brand Debuts at Target
- New Bleeding Vegan Burger Debuts at Costco
- Craft Brewery Modern Times Opens Vegan Lounge
- Kat Von D Honors Drag Queen Divine with New Makeup Line
- NYC Fashion Mogul to Debut Vegan Cheese Brand
- LUSH Debuts New Vegan Bath Melt to Fight for Trans Rights
- Data Shows Plant-Based Diet Would Save UK $7 Billion
- Amsterdam Fashion Brand Debuts Vegan James Dean Jacket