5 Vegan Things Im Buying After I Win Powerball
Animals shelters of the world will be empty after I win big tonight.
As of this writing, tonight’s Powerball is up to $1.5 billion. And, naturally, I plan on winning. When I do, here’s how I’m spending my money.
1. A dog
No, I’m not buying a dog, not with so many ready to be adopted right now in shelters across the world. I will, however, go to said shelters and adopt however many they’ve got because I’m 36 years old and I’ve never had a dog. I’ve had plenty of cats in my life and can attest that the difference between two and five is not that great. Therefore, going from never having to pay for dog food, treats, toys, and veterinarian visits to having to pay for 42 bags of dog food, treats, toys, and veterinarian visits is probably doable for me, especially considering I never have to work another day in my life.
2. Become a fixture at cattle auctions
Sounds like a strange choice for a vegan, right? Perhaps, but I’ve always told myself that if I got filthy rich I would purchase as much land as possible. Then, with that land, I would go to every cattle (and chicken, turkey, horse, etc.) auction possible, outbid the other farmers, bring my new friends to Rancho de Ryan, and take care of them to the best of my abilities. No small cages, hormone injections, or slaughter. Just a life that allows them to roam as they please.
3. Pay off student loans
There’s nothing vegan about this, per se, but without that annoying monthly payment, do you know how much money I’ll have to spend on kale each week? I’ll put kale in my smoothies for breakfast, I’ll have kale salads for lunch, devour bags of kale chips at snacktime, nosh on kale ice cream for dessert … so, basically, nothing will change except I’ll be stinkin’ rich.
4. Start a business
My mom has always wanted to see the letters “CEO” after my name, so I think I’ll start a business. However, rather than creating a brand that will sell products and turn a profit, my business will be to take over all those food companies that exploit, torture, and kill animals. And before the ink dries on the contracts, I’ll close them all—effective immediately!—and bring the existing animals to my farm.
5. Invest in Ethical Companies
Vegan companies will no longer need Kickstarter because I’ll give them all the money they want (after my team of accountants looks over the paperwork, of course). All I ask in return is every business I fund be named after me and include a picture of my face on each product. Don’t worry—I don’t want any of the profits. Now that I’m rich, it’s all about the ego. Take that, Li Ka-shing!
Ryan Ritchie is senior editor at VegNews.
10 Reasons New Vegan Documentary The Game Changers Will Literally Change Every Game
One part What the Health and ten parts of the most inspiring fitness routine you've ever seen, this new film—executively produced by James Cameron—will have you sweating in your seat.
Read More »
25 Accidentally Vegan Snacks You Can Find at Virtually Any Convenience Store
Forget the quinoa, and pass the Sour Patch Kids.
Read More »
14 Ways to Step Up Your Vegan Popcorn Game
Whether you prefer savory or sweet, weve got something for everyone on this list of snack-worthy recipes to celebrate National Popcorn Day.
Read More »
In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
Read More »
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
- How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
- 4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
- From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
- If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The VegNews Vegan Starter Kit
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too