7 Almost-Vegan Celebrities Were Rooting For
Mostly vegan is good, but fully vegan is better.
For many, making the switch to full-blown animal-free living isn’t a seamless transition, and as happy as we are about the net good “flexitarians” and “mostly vegans” do for animals, we’d love for them to go vegan—big name celebs included. In doing so, these people would provide a formidable voice in the vegan movement.
Here are 7 almost-vegans we’re standing by for with a jar full of nutritional yeast and open arms.
Who he is: Beatles founding member; People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals spokesperson; the reason Lisa Simpson is vegetarian
Veg status: The 73-year-old vegetarian reportedly has a taste for quiche and eggy breakfasts.
Our suggestion: Tofu scramble or Follow Your Heart’s VeganEgg made into a cruelty-free quiche (try this Quiche Florentine, Paul!)
Who she is: Grammy Award-winning artist; investor in 22 Days Nutrition vegan meal delivery service; Forbes’ most powerful female musician of 2015
Veg status: A 22-day vegan who now follows a “balanced” diet that includes meat and has caught flak for wearing fur
Our suggestion: The soul food-loving Houston native would have her cravings satiated by Oakland’s Souley Vegan, and could achieve a plush, luxe look with compassionate faux fur.
Who she is: Beloved 94-year-old actress and animal-lover; involved extensively with the world’s oldest existing guide dog school
Veg status: Her Hot in Cleveland co-star Wendie Malick says White “lives on hot dogs and vodka.”
Our suggestion: White’s spunky youthfulness could extend well past 100 if she were to switch to PETA-approved veggie dogs and new almond milk-based Bailey’s irish cream.
Who he is: Berkeley, CA-born rapper known for his positive lyrics; motivational speaker who’s lectured at UCLA, MIT, and Carnegie Mellon University
Veg status: Is “ashamed of eating meat”; founded the vegEMOJI app (in partnership with Follow Your Heart), which includes stickers and emojis with messages such as “cool people are kind to animals,” “keep it organic,” and “let’s adopt a dog”
Our suggestion: Step up your Vegenaise/omega-3 fatty acids game with VegNews’ recipe for Ranch Deviled Eggs.
Who she is: Number one-ranked women’s singles tennis player; widely regarded as the greatest female tennis player ever
Veg status: The pro follows a raw vegan diet during tennis season.
Our suggestion: There's no "offseason" for compassion, so consider going vegan full-time, and check out our vegan guide to tennis to learn how to avoid wool tennis balls and cow intestine strings.
Who he is: Ex-Daily Show host; owns the New Jersey outpost of Farm Sanctuary with wife Tracey, a long-time vegan
Veg status: A vegetarian since 2015, Stewart made headlines when he declined a “welcome” beef jerky when visiting a South Dakota senator, for saving a runaway NYC bull, and for his love of vegan butcher shop The Herbivorous Butcher in Minneapolis, MN.
Our suggestion: Take full advantage of your relationship with veg butchers by swapping out dairy cheese for Camembert, Dill Havarti, and Spicy Queso Blanco dairy-free cheeses.
Who he is: Former Rage Against the Machine guitarist, political activist, and current member of the new supergroup Prophets of Rage
Veg status: An on-and-off-again vegetarian since college who eats fish regularly and is “lured” by turkey during Thanksgiving.
Our suggestion: Tofurky, duh.
10 Reasons New Vegan Documentary The Game Changers Will Literally Change Every Game
One part What the Health and ten parts of the most inspiring fitness routine you've ever seen, this new film—executively produced by James Cameron—will have you sweating in your seat.
Read More »
25 Accidentally Vegan Snacks You Can Find at Virtually Any Convenience Store
Forget the quinoa, and pass the Sour Patch Kids.
Read More »
14 Ways to Step Up Your Vegan Popcorn Game
Whether you prefer savory or sweet, weve got something for everyone on this list of snack-worthy recipes to celebrate National Popcorn Day.
Read More »
In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
Read More »
Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
The debut of the new flavors from this iconic ice cream brand have us dreaming of all the ways we plan on eating them.
Read More »
- How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
- 4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
- From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
- If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The VegNews Vegan Starter Kit
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018
- 2018 is the Year Your Skin Goes Vegan, Too