Vegan Weddings 2016 (Jac Reasor & Jae Russell)
Dating site OKCupid is to thank for this Latin-inspired wedding.
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell
The big day: July 25, 2015
The place: Cleveland, OH
Honeymoon: A tropical escape to Costa Rica
The cake: Orange-zest cupcakes with orange-creamsicle frosting, classic vanilla cupcakes with vanilla bean frosting, and chocolate cupcakes with Oreo frosting
Menu standouts: Build-your-own-taco bar with beans, guacamole, salsas, and cashew nacho-cheese sauce; Spanish rice with lime, tomato, and cilantro; Mexican slaw with vegan mayonnaise
Guest swag: One-of-a-kind temporary tattoos and living centerpieces
Their story: Jac Reasor was just about to delete her OKCupid account when she decided to check her messages one last time. If the school psychologist hadn’t followed that impulse, she would have missed the note from her future wife, a fellow animal-loving vegan named Jae Russell. Jae—an Arizona-based occupational therapist—registered with the online dating site at the urging of friends, who convinced her that having connections within Cleveland’s LGBTQ community would help with her planned move there. Ten months later, she and Jac had created a life together in The City of Progress and Prosperity with a menagerie of beloved rescue pets.
The wedding: Jac and Jae dreamed of a destination wedding, but decided to tie the knot at an art gallery in Cleveland so everyone they loved could attend. Jac took the lead on planning, weaving their love of Day of the Dead iconography, art, and Mexican culture into the details. Friends visiting Oaxaca sent cutout paper decorations and candy for the piñata, and a friend of Jae’s father created artisanal candles poured in colorful jalapeño cans. The south-of-the-border theme extended to the wedding menu, which celebrated the plant-based bounty and bright flavors of Latin America. “Some people said, ‘You gotta have chicken,’” recalls Jae, “but we weren’t ready to compromise. We knew that a vegan menu meant everyone could eat. And who doesn’t love Mexican food?” Emotions skyrocketed when Jac and Jae walked themselves down the aisle and peaked when the Buddhist monk blessed their union. At the cocktail hour between the ceremony and reception, guests noshed on peach bruschetta and sipped sangria while a mariachi band played. For the reception, Jac swapped white for red vintage lace and sneakers, while Jae wore her “Gangsta Bride” outfit, launching into a personalized rendition of a Dr. Dre classic with “Nuthin’ But a ‘J’ Thang.”
We give you our 2016 Vegan Wedding Couples!
Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur (Woodstock, NY)
Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer (Laguna Beach, CA)
Malissa Schwartz & Chad Sarno (Huntsville, UT)
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell (Cleveland, OH)
5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
A 10-night vegan cruise with healthy food and a plethora of plant-based celebs? Yes, please!
Read More »
How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
Matt Skiba says eschewing dairy helps with his voice and his on-stage energy level.
Read More »
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
Buy me D3 gummies, fancy moisturizer, and a ticket to see the Misfits, and Ill be your Valentine.
Read More »
6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
Make your Valentines Day even hotter with these all-vegan sexy shades for your lips.
Read More »
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- 20 Vegan Women You Need to Follow On Instagram Today
- A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life