Vegan Weddings 2016 (Jac Reasor & Jae Russell)
Dating site OKCupid is to thank for this Latin-inspired wedding.
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell
The big day: July 25, 2015
The place: Cleveland, OH
Honeymoon: A tropical escape to Costa Rica
The cake: Orange-zest cupcakes with orange-creamsicle frosting, classic vanilla cupcakes with vanilla bean frosting, and chocolate cupcakes with Oreo frosting
Menu standouts: Build-your-own-taco bar with beans, guacamole, salsas, and cashew nacho-cheese sauce; Spanish rice with lime, tomato, and cilantro; Mexican slaw with vegan mayonnaise
Guest swag: One-of-a-kind temporary tattoos and living centerpieces
Their story: Jac Reasor was just about to delete her OKCupid account when she decided to check her messages one last time. If the school psychologist hadn’t followed that impulse, she would have missed the note from her future wife, a fellow animal-loving vegan named Jae Russell. Jae—an Arizona-based occupational therapist—registered with the online dating site at the urging of friends, who convinced her that having connections within Cleveland’s LGBTQ community would help with her planned move there. Ten months later, she and Jac had created a life together in The City of Progress and Prosperity with a menagerie of beloved rescue pets.
The wedding: Jac and Jae dreamed of a destination wedding, but decided to tie the knot at an art gallery in Cleveland so everyone they loved could attend. Jac took the lead on planning, weaving their love of Day of the Dead iconography, art, and Mexican culture into the details. Friends visiting Oaxaca sent cutout paper decorations and candy for the piñata, and a friend of Jae’s father created artisanal candles poured in colorful jalapeño cans. The south-of-the-border theme extended to the wedding menu, which celebrated the plant-based bounty and bright flavors of Latin America. “Some people said, ‘You gotta have chicken,’” recalls Jae, “but we weren’t ready to compromise. We knew that a vegan menu meant everyone could eat. And who doesn’t love Mexican food?” Emotions skyrocketed when Jac and Jae walked themselves down the aisle and peaked when the Buddhist monk blessed their union. At the cocktail hour between the ceremony and reception, guests noshed on peach bruschetta and sipped sangria while a mariachi band played. For the reception, Jac swapped white for red vintage lace and sneakers, while Jae wore her “Gangsta Bride” outfit, launching into a personalized rendition of a Dr. Dre classic with “Nuthin’ But a ‘J’ Thang.”
We give you our 2016 Vegan Wedding Couples!
Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur (Woodstock, NY)
Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer (Laguna Beach, CA)
Malissa Schwartz & Chad Sarno (Huntsville, UT)
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell (Cleveland, OH)
5 Ideas for a Great Vegan Spring Wedding
Spring is the season of rebirth, making it the perfect time to get married and enter a new phase of life with the person you love.
Read More »
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
- Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter