Vegan Weddings 2016 (Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur)
A trip to Disneyland turned into a lifetime of happiness for this Portland-based couple.
Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur
The big day: September 26, 2015
The place: Woodstock, NY
Honeymoon: A pre-wedding jaunt across the US, Mexico, and France
The cake: Pistachio-rose with a rose jelly filling and rosewater buttercream frosting
Menu standouts: Crostini with figs and ricotta; rosemary-pecan-crusted seitan skewers with watermelon-tuna sashimi; sweet-potato gnocchi with sage butter
Guest swag: Dark chocolate truffles from Lagusta’s Luscious
Their story: Disneyland might seem an unlikely destination for two strangers to meet and fall in love—and quirkier still when you consider the seeds of seduction were planted in the Haunted Mansion—but for LA-based Alex Payne and NYC-dwelling Nicole Brodeur, it was spooky serendipity. Two months after that fateful first meeting (and a few dates in California), the duo reunited in the Big Apple to embark on a love-fueled adventure with a life-altering detour into the magical world of veganism. A weekend getaway to upstate New York early in their courtship culminated with an impromptu pit stop at Woodstock Farm Sanctuary. Alex had taken the vegan plunge a month earlier, but Nicole was still eating eggs and dairy when Woodstock founder Jenny Brown gave them the tour and explained the realities of factory farming. “I went vegan cold ‘tofurky’ right then and there,” recalls Nicole.
The wedding: Though they relocated to Portland, OR, Alex and Nicole brought their love story full-circle, marrying in a lush outdoor spot at Woodstock Farm Sanctuary. “Considering the country setting,” Nicole says, “we asked our guests to dress casually.” To accomplish this look, Nicole paired a red vintage dress she first found on Instagram with a pair of faux leather cowboy boots. “Folks didn’t believe they could actually wear jeans to a wedding!” As they each made their way through a cathedral of trees, Nicole and Alex were serenaded by a violinist playing The Cure’s “Just Like Heaven.” Before the I-dos, friends and family served as wedding orators, reciting Shakespeare, Rilke, and Calvin and Hobbes. Alex and Nicole read the vows they wrote to one another, and laughed that each referenced Alex’s talent for bad puns. After the ceremony, the couple and their guests feasted on hearty picnic fare prepared by Manhattan-based Beyond Sushi and sipped English cucumber mint lemonade. A post-lunch tour of the farm allowed guests to get acquainted with resident animals and hear their rescue stories. Following a relaxed interlude, guests reconvened for another celebratory event: the dinner reception. Passed hors d’oeuvres and a dreamy vegan cheese table was followed by an extravagant three-course dinner created by award-winning vegan chef Jay Astafa and his team. “Nicole’s grandmother said the eggplant parmesan was the best thing she’s ever eaten,” Alex says.
We give you our 2016 Vegan Wedding Couples!
Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur (Woodstock, NY)
Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer (Laguna Beach, CA)
Malissa Schwartz & Chad Sarno (Huntsville, UT)
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell (Cleveland, OH)
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
Are you someone who practices mindful meditation? If so, heres why you should be vegan (if you arent already).
Read More »
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism
- 10 Vegan Easter Candies We Want To Find in Our Easter Basket