Two Sisters and Their Vegan Weddings
What do you get when you combine two creative sisters, two dashing grooms, and two different but equally vegan weddings?
Emily Hunt & Matt Kivel
The big day: August 22, 2105
The place: Napa Valley, CA
Honeymoon: Road trip along the California coast
The cake: Chocolate with cream cheese buttercream; vanilla-rum with vanilla buttercream; coconut with strawberry buttercream
Menu standouts: Southern-fried tofu; mac ‘n’ cheese; okra gumbo
Guest swag: Elegant brass key-ring bottle openers
Their story: Emily, a writer and vegan since 2011, and Matt, a musician and speechwriter, kicked off the wedding season with their August nuptials. The pair met on an airplane four years earlier, then settled in for love’s long haul.
The wedding: Emily and Matt chose the Hunt family home in Napa Valley as their celebration destination and had Oakland, CA’s Souley Vegan cater a soul-food feast. “Right after we got married,” Matt says, “Emily and I went into the house, toasted each other, and talked, just the two of us, for 15 minutes. Getting married is really about two people, and I liked being reminded of that.”
Jena Hunt & Nick Abraham
The big day: December 19, 2015
The place: San Francisco, CA
Honeymoon: Island getaway to Jamaica
The cake: Lemon-vanilla with Meyer lemon-lavender buttercream
Menu standouts: Crostini with Italian butter bean purée and artichoke relish; wild mushroom filo purse with spinach and pine nuts; butternut squash-sweet potato gratin
Guest swag: Vegan lollipops from The Groovy Baker
Their story: Like her sister Emily, writer/editor Jena Hunt grew up vegetarian in Petaluma, CA, the “Egg Capital of the World.” She and Eugene, OR-raised Nick—an emergency room doctor—fell in love in 2014 at a Mexican restaurant on Cinco de Mayo, exchanging amorous looks across the bar. “Nick claims he wanted to marry me from that evening on,” Jena says. One year to the day later, Nick proposed.
The wedding: After a poetry-infused ceremony at San Francisco’s Swedenborgian Church—where Jena and Emily’s grandparents were married in the 1950s—Jena and Nick’s party moved to landmark dining spot Greens, where Jena’s parents held their post-nuptial celebration three decades earlier. “We knew we’d have many guests for whom this would be a first introduction to vegan food,” Jena says, “so it had to be impressive. With its high-beamed ceilings, simple driftwood décor, and views of the marina, Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz Island, Greens was the perfect choice.
We give you our 2016 Vegan Wedding Couples!
Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur (Woodstock, NY)
Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer (Laguna Beach, CA)
Malissa Schwartz & Chad Sarno (Huntsville, UT)
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell (Cleveland, OH)
5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
A 10-night vegan cruise with healthy food and a plethora of plant-based celebs? Yes, please!
Read More »
How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
Matt Skiba says eschewing dairy helps with his voice and his on-stage energy level.
Read More »
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
Buy me D3 gummies, fancy moisturizer, and a ticket to see the Misfits, and Ill be your Valentine.
Read More »
6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
Make your Valentines Day even hotter with these all-vegan sexy shades for your lips.
Read More »
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- 20 Vegan Women You Need to Follow On Instagram Today
- A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life