Two Sisters and Their Vegan Weddings
What do you get when you combine two creative sisters, two dashing grooms, and two different but equally vegan weddings?
Emily Hunt & Matt Kivel
The big day: August 22, 2105
The place: Napa Valley, CA
Honeymoon: Road trip along the California coast
The cake: Chocolate with cream cheese buttercream; vanilla-rum with vanilla buttercream; coconut with strawberry buttercream
Menu standouts: Southern-fried tofu; mac ‘n’ cheese; okra gumbo
Guest swag: Elegant brass key-ring bottle openers
Their story: Emily, a writer and vegan since 2011, and Matt, a musician and speechwriter, kicked off the wedding season with their August nuptials. The pair met on an airplane four years earlier, then settled in for love’s long haul.
The wedding: Emily and Matt chose the Hunt family home in Napa Valley as their celebration destination and had Oakland, CA’s Souley Vegan cater a soul-food feast. “Right after we got married,” Matt says, “Emily and I went into the house, toasted each other, and talked, just the two of us, for 15 minutes. Getting married is really about two people, and I liked being reminded of that.”
Jena Hunt & Nick Abraham
The big day: December 19, 2015
The place: San Francisco, CA
Honeymoon: Island getaway to Jamaica
The cake: Lemon-vanilla with Meyer lemon-lavender buttercream
Menu standouts: Crostini with Italian butter bean purée and artichoke relish; wild mushroom filo purse with spinach and pine nuts; butternut squash-sweet potato gratin
Guest swag: Vegan lollipops from The Groovy Baker
Their story: Like her sister Emily, writer/editor Jena Hunt grew up vegetarian in Petaluma, CA, the “Egg Capital of the World.” She and Eugene, OR-raised Nick—an emergency room doctor—fell in love in 2014 at a Mexican restaurant on Cinco de Mayo, exchanging amorous looks across the bar. “Nick claims he wanted to marry me from that evening on,” Jena says. One year to the day later, Nick proposed.
The wedding: After a poetry-infused ceremony at San Francisco’s Swedenborgian Church—where Jena and Emily’s grandparents were married in the 1950s—Jena and Nick’s party moved to landmark dining spot Greens, where Jena’s parents held their post-nuptial celebration three decades earlier. “We knew we’d have many guests for whom this would be a first introduction to vegan food,” Jena says, “so it had to be impressive. With its high-beamed ceilings, simple driftwood décor, and views of the marina, Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz Island, Greens was the perfect choice.
We give you our 2016 Vegan Wedding Couples!
Alex Payne & Nicole Brodeur (Woodstock, NY)
Andrea Dermos & Kyle Domer (Laguna Beach, CA)
Malissa Schwartz & Chad Sarno (Huntsville, UT)
Jac Reasor & Jae Russell (Cleveland, OH)
40 Things I Desperately Want to Eat at Los Angeles' Hottest Vegan Festival
My tupperware's set, I've only eaten kale the past four days, and I'm ready for Eat Drink Vegan.
Read More »
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
- Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism