Meatless Mondays at the Moonlite Bunny Ranch
World-famous brothel says goodbye to meat on Mondays thanks to a request from The Simpsons co-creator.
A few years before his death, Sam Simon—animal activist and co-creator of the television series The Simpsons—asked Moonlite Bunny Ranch owner Dennis Hof to be on his radio show. During the program, Simon asked Hof, “In all the years I’ve known you, Hof, I’ve never asked you for one favor, have I?”
“No, you haven’t,” Hof said.
“Well, I’m going to ask you for one now,” Simon replied.
“I want the Bunny Ranch to start participating in Meatless Mondays.”
“You got it,” Hof said without hesitation, and ever since, Meatless Mondays at the Ranch have been going strong.
Founded nearly 14 years ago, the international Meatless Monday campaign was created by marketing guru Sid Lerner and for years has drawn celebrity support from Oprah Winfrey, Paul McCartney, Mario Batali, and Sheryl Crow. The Ranch’s inclusion of vegan food might shock some, as the venue is a world-famous legal brothel that’s been open for business since the 1950s.
“We’ve cut back on meat consumption by 21 percent since we started Meatless Mondays two-and-a-half years ago,” Hof said. “And it has made us more conscientious of what we serve on other nights of the week. In fact, since Meatless Monday has been implemented, we’ve committed to adding at least one vegan side dish or entrée to the rest of the week’s menus.”
Vegan menu options at the Ranch include stir-fry vegetables, stuffed mushrooms, jasmine rice, kale pesto pasta, vegan burgers, tofu, and an array of desserts. They even have a round-the-clock salad bar full of fresh fruit and vegetables. Having vegan food on-site for Meatless Mondays has benefited the staff and the customers, current Bunny of the Year Caressa Kisses says.
“My favorite entrée at the Ranch is lemon pepper tofu and stir-fry veggie,” Kisses says.“I’ve always known how to eat healthy because I was an operating room nurse. But after Meatless Mondays started at the Ranch, I began to seriously reconsider my diet. In fact, since it has started, I’ve cut way back on my meat intake. I’m close to being vegan and I’ve lost eight pounds.”
The thought of Hof being an animal lover and activist might be surprising, but he’s an ally of four-legged friends. The 69-year-old is a supporter of NoBearHuntNV.org, a coalition of individuals and organizations opposed to a regulation allowing Nevada’s small bear population to be hunted. Historically, bears in Nevada have been protected until 2011, when the State Wildlife Commission passed a regulation allowing an inaugural bear hunt. According to Las Vegas Review-Journal, 14 bears were killed in the third hunt season and that number has unfortunately increased since.
Hof also allows herds of wild horses—native to the Carson City, NV area—to graze on ranch property. “The bloodline of the beautiful wild horses dates back to the 1850s,” Hof says. “I want them to be able to roam freely and have a happy life.” These days, Hof’s constant companion is his beloved black-and-white dog Domino (who happens to be the star of the HBO series Cathouse).
“I’ve always had a soft spot for animals,” Huf says. “I was happy to oblige when Sam asked me to partake in the Meatless Mondays movement, and we will continue in his [Simon’s] honor. He was a good man and great role model for others looking to help animals.”
Erin Goldmeier is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Radar Online, PETA Prime, The Virgin Atlantic Airways Blog, and Southwest Virginia Living.
5 Reasons Your Next Vacation Should Be Aboard the Vegan Holistic Holiday at Sea
A 10-night vegan cruise with healthy food and a plethora of plant-based celebs? Yes, please!
Read More »
How Do You Remember 100 Songs in 4 Days? For Pop-Punk Band Alkaline Trio, the Answer is Veganism
Matt Skiba says eschewing dairy helps with his voice and his on-stage energy level.
Read More »
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
Buy me D3 gummies, fancy moisturizer, and a ticket to see the Misfits, and Ill be your Valentine.
Read More »
6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
Make your Valentines Day even hotter with these all-vegan sexy shades for your lips.
Read More »
- How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
- How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- 20 Vegan Women You Need to Follow On Instagram Today
- A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life