10 Boutiques Where Youll Find Vegan Velvet for Fall
Stay on trend this season with an array of cruelty-free velvet jackets, dresses, boots, and more.
Influential fashion houses such as Prada, Gucci, Fendi, Lanvin, Alberta Ferretti, and Nina Ricci spotlighted velvet as a trend for the upcoming year. Runway models were cloaked in everything from ruffled dresses and evening gowns to blazers, overcoats, and even pajamas. The colors ranged from rich hues of hunter green and deep red to royal blue and classic black. Historically, velvet has been associated with the upper-tier of society due to its luxurious appearance and high production cost, but we did some digging and found budget-friendly pieces that are must-have additions to your winter wardrobe. And, yes, they’re all vegan!
1. Steve Madden
Supermodels Gigi and Kendall have been rocking the high-velvet ankle boot this season, and designer Steve Madden has made the look attainable to masses. The upper part, lining, and sole of his ankle boots are manmade and come in blue velvet, burnt orange, blush, green, and grey velvet. We still have a week or two left of warm fall weather, so pair them with cutoff denims and jacket.
Combine another trend from this season—the bomber jacket—with velvet, and you’ll be the epitome of cool-girl chic. The Patchwork Velvet Bomber Jacket has a Japanese feel to it, while the champagne, green, and red floral applique designs embroidered on the front and back of the jacket contrast well with the deep burgundy velvet fabric.
We still can’t get enough of rose quartz, which was named Pantone Color of the Year 2016. The foldover clutch bag in pink, available at ASOS, matches rose quartz almost exactly, and comes fully lined with a nifty magnetic closure. Pair this super-chic clutch with a little black dress and fancy jewels for a night on the town, or with jeans and a plain white tee for brunching.
The choker has made a huge comeback this year, which is why we’re channeling the ‘90s starlets Drew Barrymore, (vegan) Mayim Bialik, and Courtney Love with this “Angel of Mine” Navy Blue Velvet choker for just $10. This smooth, silky necklace has a lobster clasp closure and comes in other pretty shades of mauve, tan, grey, and beige.
A classic black A-line skirt is a must for your wardrobe, and you won’t find one with a cleaner cut than this number made by designer Rachel Roy. Perfect for a day at the office or a night on the town, this skirt is versatile and is a perfect transition piece from fall to winter.
6. J. Crew
Add a pop of color to your holiday party outfit with this perfectly tailored cotton blazer by J. Crew. Available in four colors (dusty dahlia, faded teak, dark pewter, and black), this closet staple will go perfectly over a simple dress, or with denim on denim.
7. Old Navy
The soft, medium-weight Mid-Rise Velvet Rockstar Jeans for Women by Old Navy have amazing stretch, and the rich raisin color is flattering on everyone. These jeans will complement a pair of Kat Mendenhall custom-made cowboy boots and others listed in our The 10 Best Vegan Boots for Every Occasion.
This shimmery, floral-patterned dress will make you feel like you’re wearing a high-end designer, while flutter cap sleeves and a ballet scoop neck will add a touch of femininity for an overall ethereal look. Order this dress if you’re looking for something that is both stylish and comfortable.
Pair oversized statement earrings and a necklace with this regal velvet pleated midi dress by Topshop to guarantee you’ll feel like a royal. The natural taupe allows the velvet fabric to shine, and the eye-catching, sharp front pleats and chain cross back add punch.
Cozy up in Oscar de la Renta’s Vibrant Velvet Long Robe. The midweight fabric of the garment is comfortable—not bulky—and available in a deep mulberry or classic black. The best part? The upper robe has a thick, shawl collar with a satin edge. Order this to keep you warm during those cold fall nights!
Erin Goldmeier is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Radar Online, PETA Prime, and The Virgin Atlantic Airways blog.
Photo courtesy of Topshop
5 Woman-Owned Vegan Businesses You Should Be Obsessed With
What's even better than a vegan business? A vegan business owned by a woman.
Read More »
6 Valentine's Day Gifts for that Vegan Curmudgeon in Your Life
Buy me D3 gummies, fancy moisturizer, and a ticket to see the Misfits, and Ill be your Valentine.
Read More »
6 Red-Hot Vegan Lipsticks To Drive Your Valentine Crazy
Make your Valentines Day even hotter with these all-vegan sexy shades for your lips.
Read More »
How a Vegan Canadian Figure Skater Prepared to Win Gold at the Winter Olympics
Meagan Duhamels intense fitness regimen and plant-based diet led her to that international Olympic podium.
Read More »
How to Be a Vegan Teen Valentine
Wear cool clothing, give amazing gifts, and watch Okja, and you can be my Valentine.
Read More »
- Vegan Valentine's Day Tips From No. 1 Best-Selling Author Kathy Freston
- 5 Vegan Turmeric Recipes for Those Who Are Slightly Intimidated by It
- How A Vegan Diet is Making ''Everything'' Easier for One Punk Singer
- Your Meat-Eating Friends Want One of These 10 Vegan Books
- 7 Ways to Veganize Your Bed, Just in Time for Valentine's Day
- 5 Steps to the Perfect Vegan Valentine's Day
- 8 Love-Infused Vegan Events to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Thanks to These 7 Vegan Pies, We Have Declared National Pizza Day a Holiday
- No Valentine This Year? Try Vegan Speed Dating
- 6 Ways to Queer Your Vegan Valentine's Day
- Bought Too Many Vegan Girl Scout Cookies? Here are 10 Desserts You Should Make With Them
- Glow Up With These 18 Vegan Beauty Brands in 2018
- How One Chef is Getting NFL Players to Go Vegan
- From Struggling for Breath to Running Marathons: Veganism Saved His Life
- 6 Badass Vegan Women Who Don't Take Any Sh*t
- 10 Vegan Chip and Dip Match-Ups Fit For A Super Bowl Smackdown
- 20 Vegan Women You Need to Follow On Instagram Today
- A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life
- How One Woman is Introducing Vegan Mexican Sweets to a Rural Southern California Desert
- 34 Reasons Why Vegans Are in the Cool Kids Club