EXCLUSIVE: A Statement from Chef Chloe Coscarelli
Famed chef and restaurateur speaks out for the first time after being ousted from her own restaurant.
Thank you to everyone who has reached out regarding the recent news, which revealed that I have been pushed out of by CHLOE—the restaurant I founded in 2015. I imagine this news has come as a surprise to many of you, especially to the thousands of loyal customers who have helped make by CHLOE a success. Honestly, it’s quite surreal for me too.
As a young, female entrepreneur I have learned—often the hard way—the challenges that come with launching a new venture.
I developed every single recipe for the restaurant over the course of several years in my tiny apartment kitchen. I slept on a couch in the living room with no bedroom of my own so that I could be close to my work in the kitchen and develop recipes 24/7, sleeping only 3 or 4 hours most nights, for years. I set my alarm to wake me up every half hour through the night to measure the progression of ice crystals in my ice cream recipes. I made 30 variations of beet ketchup and lined them up on my window sill to compare the difference in pink pigmentation. I turned my home into a vegan test kitchen and worked with my amazing vegan team from Natural Gourmet Institute to perfect every last detail. We tested every recipe literally hundreds of times. But it was a labor of love. It was my dream.
From the day I began this journey, my goal was to create a fun, friendly restaurant that showcased how delicious vegan food can make a powerful and positive impact in the world—a belief that has never for a moment wavered. To me, veganism is so much more than a vehicle for business; it’s a vote for kindness, a dedication to sustainability, and a commitment to compassion. It’s a lifestyle I adopted more than a decade ago, and will forever be proud of, champion, and defend.
This year has been extremely painful—one that has challenged me to the core. But I will not let anyone deter my goals. I am committed to being strong and positive, and will continue to champion vegan cuisine and what it stands for. To budding entrepreneurs, I hope my journey inspires you to stand up for what’s right, even if it feels scary, and hope you never lose sight of your core mission. I haven’t. I won’t. I have some exciting new projects in the works and can’t wait to fill you in soon. Until then, I want to thank each and every one of you for your love and support. Community is everything, and I am eternally grateful to be a part of yours. Onward and upward!
~Chef Chloe Coscarelli
Chloe Coscarelli Fired for Defending Veganism
New Development: by CHLOE to Stay Vegan Sans Chloe
Chloe Coscarelli Defends Vegan Empire from Meat
by CHLOE Now Open in Brooklyn
New by CHLOE comes to Rhode Island
New by CHLOE Locations Coming to Boston
Second by CHLOE Opens in Los Angeles
Anti-Dairy PSA Airs During Olympic Closing Ceremony
A group of celebrated Olympians have united in a commercial—produced by Oscar-winning director Louie Psihoyos—to encourage viewers to switch from animal dairy to plant-based alternatives.
Read More »
Pinterest Names Vegan Food Top Wedding Trend
According to the social media platform's 2018 Wedding Report, interest in vegan nuptials is on the rise.
Read More »
Chef Chloe Coscarelli Opens New Café in Miami
Beloved vegan chef Chloe Coscarelli is back with new eatery, Chef Chloe and the Vegan Café, in highly anticipated St. Roch food hall in Miami's design district.
Read More »
Team Canada Wears All-Vegan Uniforms at Olympics
Animal-rights activists praise apparel brand Hudson's Bay Company for outfitting this year's Olympians in animal-free outwear.
Read More »
Photographer Creates the Most Vegan Proposal Ever
Popping the question with the help of an avocado is gaining traction thanks to Amsterdam food stylist Colette Dike.
Read More »
- Tyson to Launch Plant-Based Meal Bowls
- Pregnant Sisters Launch Vegan Dessert Sushi Brand
- PG Tips Creates New Tea Aimed at Vegan Consumers
- Australia's First Vegan Hotel Restaurant Opens in March
- Miami's Plant-Based SEED Food & Wine Festival Debuts in LA
- Chipotle Adds Quinoa to its NYC Test Kitchen Menu
- Vegan Fashion Brand VAUTE Profiled on PBS
- New Investor Coalition to Combat Meat Problem in China
- IKEA Debuts Plant-Based Hot Dogs
- Rooney Mara Launches Luxury Vegan Fashion Line
- NYC Meat Emporium Now Serves Vegan Beyond Sausage
- Vegan Truffles Beat 141 Brands in Blind Taste Test
- POC-Owned Vegan Lipstick Brand Debuts at Target
- New Bleeding Vegan Burger Debuts at Costco
- Craft Brewery Modern Times Opens Vegan Lounge
- Kat Von D Honors Drag Queen Divine with New Makeup Line
- NYC Fashion Mogul to Debut Vegan Cheese Brand
- LUSH Debuts New Vegan Bath Melt to Fight for Trans Rights
- Data Shows Plant-Based Diet Would Save UK $7 Billion
- Amsterdam Fashion Brand Debuts Vegan James Dean Jacket