5 Vegan Gifts to Give a Grad
Giving a vegan gift is a great way to congratulate a graduate.
Graduation season is the time of year when students are preparing to make huge changes in their lives. Whether they already have job offers or are searching for work, the thought of what to do after they walk across that stage can be overwhelming for young people, which is why it’s important to remember to celebrate! So, before the stress of a 9 to 5 takes over, shower your graduate with gifts as a way to say “congratulations” and maybe help that special someone ease into that thing we adults call “the real world.” Here are five of our favorite items that the vegan graduate in your life wants and needs.
1. Shoes to rock in the real world
If someone is about to partake in a new chapter of his or her life, that person is going to need good shoes for job interviews. Whether shopping online or in-person, the options for vegan shoes has never been higher. For dress shoes, we suggest the Liv in Black from Roni Kantor and the Wally in Brown from Novacas, both available from MooShoes. The New York and Los Angeles -based shoe store also carries cruelty-free handbags and messenger bags that are perfect for job interviews (and to take to work when someone lands that first job out of college). However, life isn’t all about work, which is why your graduate can also use some fun, cute, and casual kicks. We like TOMS shoes because they’re comfortable, look cool, and for the fact that the brand donates a pair of shoes to people in need for every pair of shoes purchased.
2. Dress for success
Proper work attire can be expensive, especially for someone who’s accustomed to living on a microwave-burrito diet. With this is mind, treat your graduate to a shopping day in which they get to choose something fancy to wear to work (and to the graduation ceremony). Show Me Your MuMu has a plethora of vegan dresses for all occasions (including wedding dresses), while Free People is a great stop for vegan belts and/or handbags. For men, we’re pretty sure you can never go wrong with anything from Joshua Katcher’s Brave GentleMan. Sure, Katcher’s clothes are on the pricey side, but quality clothes often are, which is one life lesson every graduate needs to know.
3. Vegan bling
With vegan shoes and wardrobe in tow, your cruelty-free graduate needs accessories and accoutrements to make his or her style really pop. Maybe your grad has always wanted a necklace to show off their vegan pride. If so, visit Portland’s Herbivore Clothing Company, where the Vegan Script Metal Necklace by Beth Redwood allows your graduate to make a statement in a whimsical way. You can also try Etsy.com for more vegan necklaces, rings, earrings, bracelets, charms, and pins.
After all that hard work (and, let’s be honest—partying), maybe your grad wants to stay home, relax, and spend quality time with the family. If that’s the case, treat him or her to their favorite vegan restaurant. Whether your grad loves a sit-down restaurant or a vegan fast food joint, take them and spoil them with whatever they desire because nothing says “I’m so glad I’m done with school forever” like splurging on yummy vegan food.
5. Eat Drink Vegan
Did you know that graduation season is also festival season? Well, it is, and there’s no better gift to give your grad than tickets to Eat Drink Vegan. The event takes place May 27 in Pasadena, CA, at the Rose Bowl. Featuring more than 75 restaurants, a vegan marketplace, live music, and unlimited pours of more than 250 beverages (many of which are of the alcohol variety), Eat Drink Vegan is one of the best veg fests in the world thanks to a gorgeous location and almost-perfect weather. Of course, not all graduates live near Pasadena, which means you might have to purchase airfare and a hotel for that now-former student of yours. We’re pretty sure he or she won’t mind.
Rebecca Sykes is a writer and passionate vegan who is hoping to open her own animal sanctuary one day.
Photo courtesy of Herbivore Clothing Company
Listen Up Joe: We Need These 9 Sweets of Yours Turned Vegan, Now
Trader Joes, we love you. But its time vegans got to enjoy cookie dunkers, ice cream cones, and pumpkin cream cheese spread.
Read More »
10 Reasons New Vegan Documentary The Game Changers Will Literally Change Every Game
One part What the Health and 10 parts of the most inspiring fitness routine you've ever seen, this new film—executively produced by James Cameron—will have you sweating in your seat.
Read More »
25 Accidentally Vegan Snacks You Can Find at Virtually Any Convenience Store
Forget the quinoa, and pass the Sour Patch Kids.
Read More »
14 Ways to Step Up Your Vegan Popcorn Game
Whether you prefer savory or sweet, weve got something for everyone on this list of snack-worthy recipes to celebrate National Popcorn Day.
Read More »
In 2018, Being Vegan Also Means Being a Recycler
Recycling saves the planet (and its inhabitants) and is great for tight budgets.
Read More »
- Well, That Was Quick. 7 Ways Were Breaking Our 2018 Resolutions with the New Vegan Ben & Jerrys Flavors
- How a Vegan Celebrity Chef Became One of Biggest Influencers in Atlanta
- 4 Vegan Athletes Who Think You Need to Join the #PlantMilkChallenge
- From 6 Months to Live to a New Lease On Life: Veganism Saved Her Life
- If Your Baby Could Talk, They Would Tell You They Really Want Vegan Diaper Ointments
- If Going Vegan is Your Resolution This Year, Read This
- 2018 is the Year of the Vegan Wine and Cheese Pairings
- How a Vegan Restaurateur Balances Work and a Hunter Husband
- You Are Only 6 Steps Away from Your Best Vegan Year Ever
- Everything You Need to Know About Milk Substitutes
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams' Enforced Policy Literally Saved His Life
- Frick 2017! Heres What VegNews Editors Plan to Do in 2018 …
- Want to Lower Your Blood Pressure? Go Vegan!
- Are Your Sweeteners as Vegan and Ethical as You Are?
- Is So-Called Clean Meat Vegan? Paul Shapiro Has the Answer
- The VegNews Vegan Starter Kit
- The 12 Best Vegan Desserts of All Time at Trader Joes
- Winter Doesnt Stand a Chance Thanks to These 5 Vegan Skin Products
- Why Jackie Day Should Be Your New Vegan BFF
- 9 Vegan Startups You Need to Know About in 2018