A Rare Heart Disease Led this 60 Year-Old to Veganism: Veganism Saved Her Life
In the popular Veganism Saved My Life series, we share stories of people who have witnessed extraordinary health overhauls thanks to a plant-based diet.
A dire diagnosis can turn your life into a timeline grimly defined by “before” and “after,” making you face the unimaginable—the looming possibility of your early mortality. But for some, a frightening diagnosis is also an opportunity to heal. VegNews’ annual feature, “Veganism Saved My Life”—available now in the January+February Health and Wellness Issue—features the heart-wrenching stories of five individuals whose lives were saved by veganism.
Heart disease, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea
Two to five years to live, lifelong blindness, lung transplant
How Kate Did It:
An average of three out of every million people are plagued with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension—a degenerative disease that restricts blood flow to the lungs, weakening the heart—and Kate McGoey-Smith was one of them. Shortly after her shocking diagnosis, she found herself beholden to an oxygen tank, and given the deteriorating state of her health, had no choice but to stop working. The bad news kept coming when McGoey-Smith began to lose her eyesight (caused by a lack of oxygen to her eyes), developed diabetic retinopathy, and was prescribed a mixed cocktail of drugs. After being placed on a lung transplant monitoring list—one of her last signs that if she didn’t undergo a radical change, death would be imminent—something serendipitous happened.
Flipping on the TV one night, she found herself watching the powerful, plant-promoting documentary Forks Over Knives. Intrigued and desperate, McGoey-Smith scheduled a consultation with famed plant-based medical doctor Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr. She promptly attended his workshop on the healing power of plants, and decided once and for all to take charge of her own healing. Teaching herself how to cook while she was still blind and unable to stand up, she was finally on her way to a radical recovery. Today, McGoey-Smith is down 110 pounds and nearly all of her symptoms have vanished—her last attempt to save her own life worked. Her risk for heart failure and dependency on medication both plummeted, she no longer needed a lung transplant, and, astoundingly, her eyesight has been fully restored—proving that without a doubt, Kate McGoey-Smith can finally see the full impact of veganism.
What Kate Eats In A Day
Oatmeal with blueberries and steamed greens
Pita pizza with roasted vegetables, and a sweet potato with steamed broccoli and cauliflower cheese
Potato-leek soup, kale salad with oil-free dressing, and steamed vegetables
Vegan chocolate mousse
Seasonal fruit, including berries, apples, and pears
“Your plant-based diet will prove that true healing is at the end of your fork!”
For more of VegNews’ Veganism Saved My Life series, check out Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams’ story, heart attack survivor Paul Figueroa’s story, and medical doctor Brook Goldner's story, and check back next week for more. And be sure to pick up a copy of the January+February issue of VegNews, on newsstands now!
How to Throw the Ultimate Graduation Vegan Barbecue
Schools out for summer—or maybe even forever—so fire up the grill and treat yourself and your loved ones to the ultimate celebration.
Read More »
5 Ways to Celebrate a Vegan Mother's Day with Your Mom
Show your mom you love her with vegan food, gifts, and fun.
Read More »
7 Pampering Vegan Products That Say I Love You, Mom
This Mothers Day, say thanks to your mom by creating a relaxing environment that is ethical, cruelty-free, and aesthetically pleasing.
Read More »
Wicked Kitchen Chef Dishes on the Future of Vegan Food
Former Whole Foods UK chef Derek Sarno hops the pond to Tesco.
Read More »
Why Going Vegan Can Help You Relax
Are you someone who practices mindful meditation? If so, heres why you should be vegan (if you arent already).
Read More »
- 3 Vegan Prom Makeup Looks
- The Ex-Airline Pilot Behind New York's Favorite Vegan Burger
- 10 Vegan Oatmeal Cups for the Person on the Go
- 8 Vegan Etsy Stickers That Your Car, Laptop, and Water Bottle Need, Like, Yesterday
- This 10-Minute Documentary Is Showing How Children Are Embracing Veganism
- It's Time for Men to Get Over Their Fears of Being Vegan
- We're Giving 5 Classic Films a Vegan Makeover
- VegFest Puerto Rico Built Community and Mainstreamed Veganism
- 8 Vegan Foods Making the 2018 Food-Trend List
- Fall in Love With Niagara's Vegan Scene
- If Trader Joe's Made These 11 Frozen Foods Vegan, We'd Never Have To Cook Again
- 8 Quirky Vegan Burritos To Make You Rethink Your Favorite Meal
- If You're a Broke Vegan Student, Read This
- It's Time Your Dog Went Vegan
- 6 Tips for Losing Weight on a Vegan Diet
- You're 8 Steps Away from Setting a Vegan Easter Table
- Did You Know César Chávez Was Also an Animal-Rights Activist?
- 10 Medical Reasons to Skip the Eggs on Easter
- 5 Startup Food Companies About to Revolutionize Veganism
- 10 Vegan Easter Candies We Want To Find in Our Easter Basket